Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
area.example.com - How to do Subdomains for Location-Based Database Filtering?

[eluser]bretticus[/eluser]
You can still set up all your subdomains manually and point them all (set them to the same static IP) to your website. Implementing wildcard sub-domains is just a shortcut (that allows you greater flexibility and less hassle in the future.) Doesn't make a difference as long as your website is configured to answer when it encounters your sub-domain host headers. In a pure apache config this is what ServerAlias is for. I don't think you can get that hands on with godaddy, but I know you can at least create the sub-domains and point them. If they (godaddy) have a sub-domain limit, I suggest finding a new host (preferably one that allows wildcard sub-domains.)

I don't see the decision really. Basically it's just sending all the sub-domains to the same virtual host. You then alter your models logic for each sub-domain encountered (as to get the associated data for that sub-domain.) Again, that is easy to detect via host header as demonstrated. Then, if you want to use (you don't have to) you can extend site_url() to make sure it matches the current sub-domain.

Messages In This Thread
area.example.com - How to do Subdomains for Location-Based Database Filtering? - by El Forum - 08-11-2010, 08:53 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB