Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
REST, API - confusion

[eluser]Jay Callicott[/eluser]
Hey there, I think you are overthinking it. I would go with whatever makes sense to you. Having well written nouns/verbs for URLs are helpful but most users never look at the URL because they are just clicking on links and buttons. Some like putting gets in front of everything, I don't like those as much myself.

I have problems all the time trying to decide what to name my controllers and methods. In Code Igniter you can remap URLs and that is helpful sometimes but it's still tricky to make the URL readable. I agree with that.

I looked at that article you posted and it's interesting though I've never thought of removing verbs. I usually have for every table add/edit/delete/index and sometimes search. So for users I'd have users/add, users/delete, etc. I think it makes sense to me. I don't know how I'd express it as clearly without those verbs.

I would say the first word, which is the controller name in CI shouldn't be a verb. Sometimes I've named my controller search bc I only have 1 item of content to search but then later I want a search page for something else that should really be in it's own controller so I would say that makes more sense than removing verbs altogether.

Hope that's helpful.

Messages In This Thread
REST, API - confusion - by El Forum - 10-10-2007, 08:32 AM
REST, API - confusion - by El Forum - 10-10-2007, 08:57 AM
REST, API - confusion - by El Forum - 10-10-2007, 09:11 AM
REST, API - confusion - by El Forum - 10-11-2007, 02:48 PM
REST, API - confusion - by El Forum - 10-11-2007, 03:25 PM
REST, API - confusion - by El Forum - 10-11-2007, 03:57 PM
REST, API - confusion - by El Forum - 10-11-2007, 04:05 PM
REST, API - confusion - by El Forum - 10-12-2007, 03:34 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB