Best approach(es) to implementing site navigation

[eluser]Fred Riley[/eluser]
I'm a 'faux beginner' at CI, having written a few prototype apps but not deployed anything as yet. My question relates to approaches to structuring a CI site, hence posting to this forum rather than the code forum.

What are the best approach(es) to implementing a hierarchical multi-level website navigation system in CI?

What I'm trying to implement is online as a draft static design. Follow the path Support => Rapid E-Learning to see second and third level menus. I can see various ways to implement the menu system I'm after, from simple copying and pasting menu <nav>s into different views, to creating constants with menu items+urls, to putting the menu items into a database, to putting the menu items into includes. This must be a common enough thing in CI sites, so I'd be grateful for pointers to different approaches that folk here have used. I expect that there should be just one file defining the menu items, but I'm not into the 'CI way' enough yet to be sure where I should stick it and what should be in it.

Where I've looked
Bearing in mind the strictures in How to ask a good question</a>, and to try to counter RTFFAQ and RTFM replies, I've looked at the following forum posts and docs:

FAQ
Video tutorials

and have used the following terms in a forum search:

hierarchical menu system
menu system
site navigation

I've also tried Google with similar terms, adding 'codeigniter', but although I've hit some interesting docs they seem to concentrate too much on the trees whereas I'm after a wood overview Wink

TIA for any helpful tips.

Fred

Messages In This Thread
Best approach(es) to implementing site navigation - by El Forum - 02-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Best approach(es) to implementing site navigation - by El Forum - 02-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Best approach(es) to implementing site navigation - by El Forum - 02-21-2012, 11:39 AM

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon  

Theme © 2014 iAndrew