Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Breaking Relational Databasing - what's the best practice???

[eluser]boltsabre[/eluser]
There is no "categories" table as such (categories have been isolated to a helper function, which returns a multi-dimensional array to minimises DB hits and inherent caching problems. Categories are set in stone - if I need to add more in the future I'm happy to add to the array manually in the file itself - it's a personal website, I'm not worried about the client ringing up every 3 days saying "add this cat, remove this cat", or wanting the functionality to add/edit/delete/deactivate/archive categories, etc).

Quote:best to work through a few tutorials on sql & schema design if this is all new to you
It's not so much as new (I learnt it when I was studying, I'm well aware of the concept of join table to create a relationship between two entities, and how to implement it correctly), but considering I don't have two tables to join, I was wondering if there was a better way (I terms of speed of db requests).

Thanks for the input, unless I hear back regarding some other idea, I'll go with the second, seems the easiest to implement and create my admin "image upload" script.

Thanks for the input jmadsen!!!

Messages In This Thread
Breaking Relational Databasing - what's the best practice??? - by El Forum - 06-20-2012, 03:09 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB