Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Performance issues with FTP uploads to remote server?

[eluser]Aken[/eluser]
I think the only security benefit of serving static assets from another domain would be that you can control that domain to serve ONLY static assets, and not execute or parse anything else. You can do this on your own server, also, you just have to do it to a directory. At least that's what I've gathered after doing some researching for the last half hour or so.

I actually read about something that I had forgotten about, and not really addressed recently, and that's how a wannabe-hacker can inject PHP into an image file, and if that image file doesn't go through the necessary precautions, it can be parsed on your server, leading to some serious vulnerabilities. Actually pretty scary how easy it is. This is a good reason to serve images and other uploads from a specialized area, even if that means a folder with explicit permissions and settings.

Lots of people do use offsite storage for various assets and uploads, though (Amazon S3 for example). Sure, there is a little performance hit, but sometimes it's worth it. Really depends on your situation.

Messages In This Thread
Performance issues with FTP uploads to remote server? - by El Forum - 07-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Performance issues with FTP uploads to remote server? - by El Forum - 07-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Performance issues with FTP uploads to remote server? - by El Forum - 07-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Performance issues with FTP uploads to remote server? - by El Forum - 07-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Performance issues with FTP uploads to remote server? - by El Forum - 07-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Performance issues with FTP uploads to remote server? - by El Forum - 07-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Performance issues with FTP uploads to remote server? - by El Forum - 07-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Performance issues with FTP uploads to remote server? - by El Forum - 07-14-2012, 04:05 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB