Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Beginner needs help with form

[eluser]Glowfox[/eluser]
Thank you Tim for your reply.

I had a similar thought about the "get" function and that seemed to be the easiest fix except I took this coding from an already working form elsewhere on the site (written by the original coder) and I only changed the form HTML, plus the controller, model, and view name to what they are now and instead of dropping the information into "users", it should place it into "pets" now. I have literally changed very few things.

The only thing I can think is the person who coded it may have a page somewhere that is telling my website what sections of the database it can access and which it cannot and since I added this "pets" section to the database myself, it wouldn't be there. I have looked everywhere for a file like that though and I cannot find it. So, I thought maybe I was just wrong on that hunch and I just coded it wrong somehow.

The only thing remotely like a "get" function I have is this:

Code:
public function check_rname_is_free($rname) {
  $s=$this->db->where("rname", $rname)->get("pets");
  if($s->num_rows() > 0) {
   return false;
  } else {
   return true;
  }
}

But that section is talking to the Javascript which is supposed to check "pets" in the database to see if the registered name is already taken. It should not be trying to insert anything into the database itself. It is just checking to see if the name is already in the database.

And no, I do not use an IDE. I will look into to trying that next.

As for it being a high expectation, it probably is. I am normally a fairly quick learner and I just thought (for whatever reason) it couldn't be that hard to learn. From what I can get CodeIgniter to do, I love and I feel it works better. So, I am having a hard time just giving up and returning to the old way. It is hard to go from having a project you coded yourself completely to not being able to get a form to work though. LOL

Thank you for the advice!

Messages In This Thread
Beginner needs help with form - by El Forum - 07-24-2014, 05:12 AM
Beginner needs help with form - by El Forum - 07-24-2014, 07:13 AM
Beginner needs help with form - by El Forum - 07-24-2014, 07:37 AM
Beginner needs help with form - by El Forum - 07-24-2014, 10:11 AM
Beginner needs help with form - by El Forum - 07-24-2014, 01:14 PM
Beginner needs help with form - by El Forum - 07-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Beginner needs help with form - by El Forum - 07-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Beginner needs help with form - by El Forum - 07-25-2014, 08:10 AM
Beginner needs help with form - by El Forum - 07-25-2014, 08:17 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB