Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
[split] Linux ... (CommunityAuth)

(05-28-2016, 12:03 AM)Diederik Wrote: Wine does not come installed by default on any Linux distro that I know off. It's about the the same thing as why CodeIgniter does not come with a complete CMS. It's designed by default to be lightweight. Wine is an application you must install yourself. Frankly, if your not willing to do a few minutes of Googling and finding out how you can install Wine in just 3-4 steps in most Linux distro's then I believe Linux is not well suited for you.

If you only want to install wine to be able to use your windows editor UltraEdit I suggest that you try out other linux (/multiplatform) based editors. If your not willing to change your on habits then you will not be able to evolve.

- Sublime Text 3 (not sure why Skunkbad advises the old 2 version, the guy who created Sublime Text advises to install version 3 even though it's officially in beta stage).
- Atom
- PhpStorm
- Netbeans
- Eclipse
- Aptana
- Geany

I've been using Linux on servers for about 17 years now and it has been my main desktop environment for about the last 8 years. As a desktop I currently prefer to use Debian with Cinnamon but I've been using Ubuntu alot in the past but abanonded Ubuntu completely because I dont like the Unity desktop and it's integration of amazon search.

OK Diederik, I like constructive criticism but please don't think I don't research before I ask questions. I've done more than a few "minutes" I've spent many hours researching. I learn far more by researching myself. I've already researched http://distrowatch.com/search.php?pkg=wi...#pkgsearch and http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/...175519205/ (Which is of little help) and http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/newbie/...istro.html (Which is where I found SolydXK). TNFrank says "SolydXK has not only WINE but Plan On Linux installed. Give it a look." I found SolydK to be dysfunctional, including its forums.

You say "Wine is an application you must install yourself" I've tried to install "Wine" in Ubuntu but failed. Without being connected to the Internet the only other port is the DVD Drive. It appears my only possible way to get "Wine" is get a distro with it already installed.

The primary thing I need to do on my new (1 month old) laptop is get connected to the Internet. My ISP is Windows based, although I'm trying to connect to another ISP but that is proving difficult in my current location. Once I'm connected to the Internet in my new laptop, I will cross the bridges of other Windows based programs.

I'm addicted to UltraEdit, and anybody who uses it would be the same. UltraEdit does any repetition work I want, and so simply and quickly. For example I can copy a line such as a URL so simply and quickly. Or save and go to the top or bottom of the text page so simply and quickly. The text editor in Ubuntu does not appear to have a macro.

You may note skunkbad uses Photoshop and Illustrator, which he runs in Virtualbox.

If you have been using Linux on servers for many years, then you are the person I'd like to keep in touch with. The project I intend building will probably benefit you.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Linux ... (CommunityAuth) - by Narf - 05-10-2016, 12:32 PM
RE: [split] Linux ... (CommunityAuth) - by christaliise - 05-28-2016, 03:17 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB