Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Codeigniter 3.0 forced uppercase naming of controllers and classes

(05-18-2016, 09:43 AM)kilishan Wrote:
(05-18-2016, 02:51 AM)stefano.corsi Wrote: Secondly, because having mixed case file names creates incongruence when developing on Windows (things that work on Windows but do not work on Unix in production) and these incongruences are often difficult to discover.

And that is one of the reasons that a file naming requirement exists in the first place. This ensures that you can't name the file is always in the casing it's expected to be an will function perfectly in both case-sensitive and case-insensitive filesystems. Previously, the system checked for both versions of the file name and file searches aren't the most inexpensive process so this aids performance, also.

Quote:Is there a way to configure or very simply patch CodeIgniter to behave like before, allowing lowercase controller and class file names?

While I'm sure there's way you could patch it, it's not recommended. You could create a small script that would change the filenames for you instead of having to do it manually.

While we all understand it's not a fun thing to do, it's not likely to change now.

Hi Kilishan, thank you for your reply.

I disagree with this approach. Confusion is exactly what happens now... for example I ported my old files to CI 3.0 and everything worked very well on Windows (they were all rigorously lowercase as I am used to do). Deployed it in production and ... surprise... nothing worked.

I think in general developers should be free to decide if a file has to be mixed case or lowercase. I'm sure an experienced developer knows the difference and expects a framework to behave the same in both windows and unix... it's bad if CI accept lowercase files on Windows and rejects them on Unix (without any kind of informational message btw)

And also ...what I liked in the philosophy of CI was the relative simplicity and the freedom... this is for me a minor turnoff (I'm sure I'll be able to cope with it ;-) )

Messages In This Thread
RE: Codeigniter 3.0 forced uppercase naming of controllers and classes - by stefano.corsi - 05-18-2016, 11:16 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB