Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Why the hate for CI still

PaulD Wrote:Really? Still? CI felt abandoned for a while and when Ellis lab said they were looking for a new owner, me (and I am sure lots of others) started investing time in other frameworks. But CI was fixed, debugged and brought back to life with CI3. And the direction and commitment of the team behind CI is literally almost perfect (IMHO) and this forum surely proves it is most certainly alive and kicking and growing.

Are you sure this is not old posts and old info about CI2. CI3 is stable, fast, powerful and non-descriptive. It is simply brilliant.

You're right, some of the comments are years old (that's what you get when all you wear are "Google Goggles") however there are some comments saying these things only 4 and 6 months ago.

PaulD Wrote:Use it. CI3 will be supported for a long time to come and it has some clever committed people in the core team as well as BCIT behind it as the owner.

Thanks, I used it on a previous project and I enjoyed it. This time around it took me about 2 minutes to get it set up for a new project and 20 minutes to get back into. Compare that with another system I've tried recently (not a framework as such) which took me around 2 hours to setup and configure (lots of dependencies) and it still doesn't work correctly at the end of it. That's not saving time, it's wasting it.

PaulD Wrote:I have not read these comments recently, and if you have they are simply wrong. And yes, for me, I install CI in about five minutes, convert my HTML design to a few views I use as my building blocks, copy over a few handy libraries and am almost immediately into coding the really interesting bits - the actual workings of the site. So fast, so lightweight and so useful, a true framework that has virtually no bloat. Some people want a default auth system (I most certainly do not), or a default shopping cart (not me), or a blog (again - why?), etc etc. Some people want a CMS etc. If you want these go use the many that are available. With CI you can build all of these, to work how you want them to, to do the things and in the way you choose. It is a toolbox, a brilliant, free, open source, reliable, blazingly fast toolbox.

You're getting me excited now. You're right though, I don't want out of the box auth systems and blogs. If I'm perfectly honest I am happy writing vanilla PHP, but when you start replicating CI's form validation (but less successfully) amongst other things, CI makes perfect sense.

PaulD Wrote:Personally, the customer tells me what they want and I build it. The framework it is built with as almost never been an issue, except when they insist they want WordPress - then I double the price and take twice as long with it. I hate using WP (which is a CMS, not a framework).

As it happens I do a lot of work with WordPress now. You're right, first and foremost it is a CMS but you can extend it nicely once you learn how, and it does then become a sort of framework.

The difference though - how many database queries does WordPress make for a single page view? I can't tell you the answer, but I do know it's more than 4 or 5. How many does CI make? None, unless you tell it to.

The other thing is if I remember correctly the CI download was around 10mb. When I download another framework which is 40mb+ in size you start to wonder what is going on behind the scenes.

Anyway, thank you all for your replies, you have inspired me to get on with things and I think CI is a good choice.

From the very outset I was impressed with how easy it is to learn, the documentation is second to none and the help and support on this forum is also very good.

Messages In This Thread
Why the hate for CI still - by CINewb - 05-18-2017, 10:02 AM
RE: Why the hate for CI still - by albertleao - 05-18-2017, 10:32 AM
RE: Why the hate for CI still - by PaulD - 05-18-2017, 11:32 AM
RE: Why the hate for CI still - by skunkbad - 05-18-2017, 11:58 AM
RE: Why the hate for CI still - by PaulD - 05-18-2017, 12:20 PM
RE: Why the hate for CI still - by CINewb - 05-19-2017, 02:17 AM
RE: Why the hate for CI still - by Kaosweaver - 05-19-2017, 08:49 AM
RE: Why the hate for CI still - by eagle00789 - 05-19-2017, 01:34 PM
RE: Why the hate for CI still - by jlp - 05-19-2017, 03:22 PM
RE: Why the hate for CI still - by bastones - 06-04-2017, 08:44 AM
RE: Why the hate for CI still - by visualsol - 05-26-2017, 11:40 PM