Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Hello from AR, USA

Hello everyone.

I'm new to CodeIgniter, I've been learning php for about 3 years now, and programming for 4.  I tried a couple of other php frameworks in the past, but I gave up quickly.  I decided to try again a couple of weeks ago with CI, and I have been enjoying learning it.  To be fair to the other frameworks, my coding skills were not very good at the time; but CI seems to have a better learning curve, and the documentation has been extremely helpful. 

I can't believe I've been missing all these features of a framework!  I spent countless hours writing regular expressions and other things to validate and sanitize data.  Building query strings, repetitive MySQL queries and coding "inline" I would often get confused on where to put things (Which file contains the class I need??).  I'm hoping CI can save me some time now that my projects have grown so much. 

I have a website I've been building/maintaining for years, and I'm switching the project over to CI and MVC.  I originally thought about salvaging some of the code, but I think I will just rewrite 90% of everything, although my layout and design will not change. 

Have any of you had to move a large project to a framework, or from one framework to another?  I kind of went into panic mode at first but I think "I got this" now haha. 

I hope that one day I can contribute to the CI project somehow.

Also very glad to see this forum has some real human interaction, a lot of tech forums do not.

Cheers everyone!

Messages In This Thread
Hello from AR, USA - by Six_String_Coder - 01-18-2018, 06:39 PM
RE: Hello from AR, USA - by skunkbad - 01-18-2018, 11:24 PM
RE: Hello from AR, USA - by Kaosweaver - 01-19-2018, 06:32 AM
RE: Hello from AR, USA - by Elias - 01-19-2018, 07:50 AM
RE: Hello from AR, USA - by Six_String_Coder - 01-20-2018, 12:17 PM
RE: Hello from AR, USA - by skunkbad - 01-20-2018, 02:15 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB