Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Prototype, MooTools and Scriptacoulus

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
As Nick said, there was a stickied thread to prevent this coming up ever other week. Here's a quick review.
Quote:Jquery - Excellent framework for the everyday stuff. Lightweight, fast, easy to learn.
Prototype - Very in-depth framework, no native effects. Good for projects with lots of custom javascript. Great documentation.
Scriptaculous - Essentially an effects addon for prototype. I've had trouble with this one recently.
YUI - Very strong framework with everything you'll ever need and more. Steep learning curve for a beginner as it requires good knowledge of javascript.
Mootools - Syntax is simliar to protoype, with great effects. I just started using this and love it. However, he documentation is very unclear if you've never used a framework.
The bottom line:
If you've never done javascript and don't have any special needs, go with JQuery. If you plan on writing lots of javascript, go with YUI or Prototype.
My personal route was YUI -> prototype/scriptaculous -> jquery -> mootools. Looking back: Don't start with YUI. Prototype has the best docs, but scriptaculous needs work. Jquery was great, but coming from yui and prototype, the syntax just didn't appeal to me. I'm staying with moo for now.

Messages In This Thread
Prototype, MooTools and Scriptacoulus - by El Forum - 03-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Prototype, MooTools and Scriptacoulus - by El Forum - 03-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Prototype, MooTools and Scriptacoulus - by El Forum - 03-24-2008, 11:07 AM
Prototype, MooTools and Scriptacoulus - by El Forum - 03-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Prototype, MooTools and Scriptacoulus - by El Forum - 03-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Prototype, MooTools and Scriptacoulus - by El Forum - 03-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Prototype, MooTools and Scriptacoulus - by El Forum - 03-30-2008, 12:19 AM
Prototype, MooTools and Scriptacoulus - by El Forum - 03-30-2008, 12:54 AM
Prototype, MooTools and Scriptacoulus - by El Forum - 03-30-2008, 06:48 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB