Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Permissions validation in model? (object belongs to user)

Hello,

This is my first post here, so please be gently for me and excuse me my english Smile

I was reading today about keeping controllers slim and moving validation rules to models but I don't know if I get it right. For simplicity, we have 2 models: users and posts.
Users can edit their posts, however each edit consumes a point. What do you think is the most natural way of validating this and why?

For me the most natural way would be:

In controller I can check if a post exists and belongs to user, if it doesn't just display a main page (no need for any fancy logic here since this situation shouldn't really happen). Here I can also check if user has enough points before even loading a model.
In model I can have form_validation rules for a post content/title and any other property.
That way If I introduce for example a control panel where as an admin I can edit every post, I can use that code and won't have to deal with "belongs to user/has enough points" rules (which wouldn't be applicable to admin account).
On the other hand, I could pass to edit method additional parameters and based on them have additional rules - that way I would keep everything inside Model.

What do you think is the right approach and why?

Thank you for any answers!

Messages In This Thread
Permissions validation in model? (object belongs to user) - by qmd - 09-19-2018, 12:41 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB