Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
[split] CodeIgniter 3.1.11 Released vs CI4 Rants

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2019, 10:23 AM by eggbert.)

(12-09-2019, 07:18 AM)captain-sensible Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 05:08 AM)MGatner Wrote: People don’t like change. It was one of the reasons CodeIgniter 3 was wildly popular (it was a near-seamless transition from 2) and why the outside community ridiculed it (it lacked many new features from PHP). I imagine many won’t transition to 4 out of loyalty, familiarity, or fear of the workload in converting old projects... but this is a very necessary step to stay alive in our modern web development world.
The way i figure it i don't have much choice but to go for CI4.

My old micro framework is not being maintained; i currently have 4 websites using it with php at 5.4. Sooner or later we are all going to have to use php 7+.

I looked at alternatives(i'm on slackware Linux) I don't understand that on some other  frameworks I have to go to the hassle of installing vagrant, virtual box etc ( I hope CodeIniter never goes down that road )

There doesn't seem much point in playing with CI3

My thinking is I don't have to switch yet, but if i play with CI4 now by the time I have to make the switch I will be ready!

Wow, slackware! Now there's an old timer's distro Smile

I'm sort of in the  same boat.  Soon I will be modernizing a fairly large legacy php app so I'm taking a fresh look at what's available nowadays. I'm coming into CI with no preconceived notions as I've only played around with it many many years ago. There's no way I'd even bother considering CI 3 due to its lack of modern features. It's a dead end.

What I like about CI is that it doesn't force it's self on you like many frameworks do nowadays.  Whenever I try to get into the big modern frameworks like Laravel, I feel like it beats me over the head with all the tooling and conventions.  I spend way too much time trying to get into their "mindset" than I do actually getting things done.  This is probably a failing on my part, but oh well... I've learned over the years what works well for me. I actually do use vagrant, docker, composer, gulp, etc, but use them in a workflow that works best for what I do. 

The other pet peeve I have with the big players like Laravel is documentation seems to be getting poorer. I'm finding I am forced to watch videos to learn pick up the concepts. I can't stand this. I'm able to absorb information more quickly with written documentation than sitting through some video.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] CodeIgniter 3.1.11 Released vs CI4 Rants - by eggbert - 12-09-2019, 10:12 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB