Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI 4.0.3 is releasing soon - help wanted

(04-22-2020, 10:04 PM)kilishan Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 04:08 PM)John_Betong Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 10:57 AM)kilishan Wrote: John - we've had this discussion before. Smile
Yes I know and I was outvoted by Luddites not willing to use the available debugging tools. I think their reasoning is because they prefer coding with blinkers/blinders and afraid the additional errors will mean more work in tracing bugs.

That was me the discussion happened with, so calling me a Luddite isn't the best way to move your case forward. Those are only bugs when you turn on a feature that restricts another feature (automatic type casting). To say they're bugs when the framework isn't designed with strict typing in mind is a fallacy.

It boils down to personal preferences. I understand the benefits and drawbacks of strict and loose typing, and, for this case, choose loose typing. I respect that you prefer the strict typing. And that's cool. Too bad you can't respect our choices.

And, as always - anyone is able to submit a PR to fix things they don't like.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the Luddite reference it was not specifically aimed at yourself and I do respect your choice to not use strict typing. I have vague memories about other users who condemned strict type usage without even trying to see the benefits.

What I find confusing with the existing application is declaring numerous function parameter types and not using the strict_type declaration? I would have thought they were included and ready to be used at a later date?

Regarding strict_type drawbacks I have never read a valid argument against their usage. PHP introduced them a couple of years ago and they are still used, same for numerous other compiled languages. As previously mentioned I really like how errors are thrown when parameter types do not match. While developing the errors are easily eliminated.

I am very busy at the moment and once I clear the backlog will endeavour to update the online usage and to submit PRs.

Keep up the good work Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: CI 4.0.3 is releasing soon - help wanted - by John_Betong - 04-22-2020, 11:25 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB