Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Upgrade From Version 2.1.3 To Version 3.1 or 4

Hi,

We have a RESTful web services API developed in CodeIgniter Version 2.1.3 and hosted of ISP server. Now our ISP want to upgrade the PHP and MySQL (to latest version) on that server and not sure if these upgrades will work with our CodeIgniter Application. We are in process of rewriting this application in some other language but still want to keep it up for next 3-4 years for backward compatibility for our existing customers. 

I will really appreciate if someone will help me to determine what's the best option for us to keep it running without having any issues for next 3-4 years with latest PHP and MySQL. We are not planning to do any new development to this site, except the regular maintenance and bug fixes. 

At this time I have following 3 options, but not sure which one is the best to keep my application running for next 3-4 years without any more interruptions:

Option 1 - Just upgrade PHP and MySQL and keep application running in CodeIgniter 2.1.3 (not sure if it's compatible or will create any issues)

Option 2 - Upgrade to Version 3, but in that case I have to go through multiple 3 migration process (from 2.1.3 to 2.1.4, 2.1.4 to 2.2.x and then 2.2.x to 3.0.x) - Preferred (but just need help about the steps involved)

Option 3 - Upgrade to Version 4, but in that case I have to pretty much rewrite the whole application as we have no plans to keep that application running after 3 -4 years therefore I think at this time Option 2 is the best option.

Thanks,
SauGo

Messages In This Thread
Upgrade From Version 2.1.3 To Version 3.1 or 4 - by usa13524 - 11-05-2020, 02:01 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB