Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Our reasons to stay away from CodeIgniter 4

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2021, 05:32 PM by schertt.)

This feels more like a personal outburst than any kind of real criticism, and it seems predicated on the fact that moving from 3 to 4 isn't as simple as dragging and dropping files between installs. 

That idea is admirable but it's just not the case here. The CI framework went through major design changes between these revisions; it sounds curt but that's a part of life in this business. Sometimes it hits the fan and you have to put the work in to adapt. It's not even like it was a surprise; as other users have pointed out, this was known for some time. 

In reality, the amount of work it takes to port code from 3 to 4 isn't overwhelming; it just seems that once people realize there is some work rather than none, it becomes an issue. Truth is, if you actually understand CI3 and are willing to put the time in to learn CI4, it shouldn't be that daunting of a task. 

Obviously a framework that has only been around for a year is going to be less stable than one that's been around for ten. If the issue was purely "stability" then you could stay on CI3; no one here is forcing you to upgrade. In truth I don't know what stability issues you speak of but if you were modifying the framework's system files who knows what problems could have occurred. 

Decrying a lack of PHP compatibility is a nonsensical argument. The oldest minor version of PHP still maintained is 7.3; in other words, the oldest minor version of PHP that you should be using anywhere in production is 7.3. CI4's minimum version is 7.2, which itself is already EOL. Complaining that CI4 can't support earlier versions is to say that you're perfectly fine exposing to the web versions of PHP that have been EOL and vulnerable for 5, 6, 7+ years. Purporting to stand for the average enterprise user but happily accepting these kinds of vulnerabilities is questionable, if not ironic. 

Beyond that it seems mostly opinion (sentences that start with "I personally despise" typically don't contain much objective detail). .Env have a narrow, specific purpose and are not the only way to configure the framework yet you have a personal distaste for them; that's not an issue with the framework. Complaining about namespacing OOPHP code is another dose of irony, coming from an "enterprise" user; that one of the most fundamental OOP practices, especially at the enterprise-level, would be seen as a problem rather than good practice is extremely telling. 

For the record, I've dug through a lot of the CI4 system code since its stable release; I have never found a single comment that was even remotely funny let alone infantile. Sounds more like you just wanted to use that word.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Our reasons to stay away from CodeIgniter 4 - by schertt - 01-05-2021, 05:30 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB