Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Opinions on do/action functions in controllers to handle submitted form data

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
Im not certain what is the best way to call the type of functions im about to talk about but I just wanted to see if anyone else does a similar method with their application development.

Example - Add a new product to website

Ok, so lets say we want to have a product manager on a site under which in the administration a user can see all of the products and add/edit products. Generally speaking we would have four functions in our controller to achieve this as below.

Please keep in mind this is a very very brief quick example.
Code:
function index() {
    $data['products'] = $this->Product->get_all();
    $this->load->view('products');
}

function add() {
    $data['mode'] = 'add';
    $data['product']['name'] = '';
    $data['product']['description'] = '';
    $this->load->view('product_addEdit'); // Has a form that submits to do_addEdit function
}

function edit() {
    $data['mode'] = 'edit';
    $data['product'] = $$this->Product->get($this->uri->segment(3));
    $this->load->view('product_addEdit'); // Has a form that submits to do_addEdit function
}

function do_addEdit() {
    if ($this->input->post('mode')=='add') {
        // Add product functionality
    } else if ($this->input->post('mode')=='edit') {
        // Edit product functionality
    }
    redirect('products');
    exit;
}

The key things from above are:
- Same view used for adding and editing a product
- When you submit the form to add/edit it's action url is set to a 'do_addEdit' function instead of itself

I am really preferring the building of controller functions like this as I feel it allows for better seperation of the viewing and creating/adding functionality (making it easier to read) and makes for smaller controller functions and helps follow the DRY principle a bit easier.

Does anyone else do their function building similar to our above approach or have any opinions on doing it this way?

Messages In This Thread
Opinions on do/action functions in controllers to handle submitted form data - by El Forum - 07-01-2008, 07:24 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB