Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
[split] composer installs (I think)
Sad 
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2018, 02:49 PM by ciadmin.)

(12-12-2017, 03:05 AM)jlp Wrote: The easiest way to install it is by using Composer.

The beauty of past versions was the simple installation method of copy/paste. 

I am not against progress, but I am against non-simple methods. The cleanest web pages are simple web pages. Starting out by having to download, install and use third-party software is never a good omen.

Simple = Elegant

Complexity = Fragility

Cheers,
HEKuiper

(01-04-2018, 05:31 AM)HEKuiper Wrote:
(12-12-2017, 03:05 AM)jlp Wrote: The easiest way to install it is by using Composer.

I am not against progress, but I am against non-simple methods. The cleanest web pages are simple web pages. Starting out by having to download, install and use third-party software is never a good omen.

Simple = Elegant

Complexity = Fragility

Cheers,
HEKuiper

CodeIgniter4-standard != CodeIgniter 4 Framework.
Using third-party software is not a bad omen.

Simple = Elegant

Complexity = Fragility

Cheers,
HEKuiper

+1
If CI4 will go the Laravel way in terms of setup and complexity then maybe Laravel will be the way to go. I believe CI got popular by it's simplicity. Any new guy could easily set it up and running in no time both locally and in a shared web environment for example. I hope it will keep this even if it has an option to use more advanced tools such as composer. I was allergic to all this tools before using Ubuntu ( I can understand that for Mac users it's all good but for Windows users everything you want to do is such a pain... blargh )

(02-24-2018, 02:03 PM)Ivo Miranda Wrote:

Simple = Elegant

Complexity = Fragility

Cheers,
HEKuiper

+1
If CI4 will go the Laravel way in terms of setup and complexity then maybe Laravel will be the way to go. I believe CI got popular by it's simplicity. Any new guy could easily set it up and running in no time both locally and in a shared web environment for example. I hope it will keep this even if it has an option to use more advanced tools such as composer. I was allergic to all this tools before using Ubuntu ( I can understand that for Mac users it's all good but for Windows users everything you want to do is such a pain... blargh )

The CodeIgniter4-Standard help any new, and old, guy easily reformat your code following the CodeIgniter Style Guide.

There are several tools in various editors and IDEs that make it possible to do this with a simple keyboard shortcut.

CI4 can be installed "manually", just download the package and configure it. But, of course, you need to study this.

As it is in development and things can change at any time, it is easier to maintain if you use Git.

Complexity may be just your current point of view.

First off - once CI4 is ready for a release, there will be downloadable releases, just as their always has been for those who prefer to do it that way. It's also available through Composer currently, or through a git clone for any that prefer those methods.

Quote:Simple = Elegant

I might have to disagree here. Easy quite often equals Elegant, though Simple and Easy are not always the same things. Smile But choice and freedoms are a good thing. And if you haven't started exploring Composer yet and the ecosystem it provides, now is probably a good time. There are lots of good things about it. And yes, potential gotchas, also.

One problem with that! Most shared hosting sites will not allow Composer to run.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(02-26-2018, 06:29 AM)InsiteFX Wrote: One problem with that! Most shared hosting sites will not allow Composer to run.

Exactly - which is why we plan on supporting both methods, and why Composer was ruled out initially as the primary autoloader.

(02-26-2018, 06:29 AM)InsiteFX Wrote: One problem with that! Most shared hosting sites will not allow Composer to run.

The first thing that popped into my head after reading the above was, "Who does that? I mean, who develops on a live shared hosting site?"

Doesn't most development happen on a local machine utilizing a virtual host? It is that file-set that is "installed" on the live server. The development environment may include all kinds of files that should not be placed on the server - gulp and/or gulp files; node_modules; SASS/LESS files; etc.

@Dave friend

That's how I do it here, VHOST https: using Composer etc; then upload it to live site.

What I was stating is that you cannot run Composer on shared hosting sites, they will
not allow it.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB