Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
License terms and policy with CodeIgniter

Hi,

I am a new user to PHP and CodeIgniter.
I have created a website using PHP and CodeIgniter and I have question related to the license terms.

Q1. I see that CodeIgniter is licensed under MIT License but I did not read the whole license text. My question is that if I am using CodeIgniter to create my website, do I need to take care of the license before hosting the website? Or do I need to attribute or mention somewhere that I am using CodeIgniter? 
So basically I have no idea of what to do. Do I have to create a page for "Terms and Usage" or  "Privacy Policy" pages for my website where I mention something related to usage of CodeIgniter?

Q2. I have seen some websites have the "Terms and Usage" and  "Privacy Policy"  mentioned at the bottom of the website. Is this mandatory for all websites? I am a pretty new person to this and I have create a website to start a small business. The website is informational purpose and there is no money transaction involved in the website. But I have field for Name, email and Phone no
that the visitor has to enter in order to make an inquiry. 

Please guide me on this. Any feedback is much appreciated.

The whole license text is pretty easy to swallow... https://www.codeigniter.com/user_guide/license.html

In a nutshell, no you don't have to mention anywhere on your websites that you are using CodeIgniter.
If, however, you redistribute your websites, including the CodeIgniter framework, then you need to include the MIT license file, and indicate that some of what you are distributing is the framework, which is released under the MIT license.

No, not every website needs terms & usage or privacy policy sections. That depends on the intended audience and the nature of the website. However, if you use cookies to track users, then you need to look at the GDPR rules.

(12-30-2018, 02:00 AM)ciadmin Wrote: The whole license text is pretty easy to swallow... https://www.codeigniter.com/user_guide/license.html

In a nutshell, no you don't have to mention anywhere on your websites that you are using CodeIgniter.
If, however, you redistribute your websites, including the CodeIgniter framework, then you need to include the MIT license file, and indicate that some of what you are distributing is the framework, which is released under the MIT license.

No, not every website needs terms & usage or privacy policy sections. That depends on the intended audience and the nature of the website. However, if you use cookies to track users, then you need to look at the GDPR rules.

Hi ,

Thank you for the quick response.
I will go through the license text.

For your other response, I understand that if I redistribute my website with CodeIgniter, then I have to add the MIT license file.
So what kind of scenario would mean that I am redistributing my website? I am not understanding what exactly redistributing means? In my case, as of now I will be only hosting the website to a server. Do this account for redistributing?

Thanks,
Viral

"Redistributing" is making your site source code available for download. Hosting it does not fall under that.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB