Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Merging CodeIgniter and NoNonsense Forum

I'm using CodeIgniter, and would like to offer users a simple forum to discuss their business. For example the (1) Leader/Director of a company may want to discuss internal business with the (2) Manager, and the (3) Foreperson, and the (4) Workers/Salespersons, and where all other users of the website would be denied access, and I thought NoNonsense Forum (NNF) would be ideal. http://camendesign.com/code/nononsense_forum

I have downloaded the Zip folder, unzipped and read the text files particularly INSTALL.txt but I'm confused on how I would get it to work. I note that the .htaccess file is necessary for NNF to work, and the same named file is also necessary for CodeIgiter to work. That file is located in C:\xampp\htdocs\application\.htaccess and the contents of that file are as follows;

PHP Code:
<IfModule authz_core_module>
Require 
all denied
</IfModule>
<
IfModule !authz_core_module>
Deny from all
</IfModule>` 

I thought the appropriate place to paste the "contents" of NNF folder would be C:\xampp\htdocs\application\ but the two .htaccess files would conflict, however I thought there maybe a possibility they could be amalgamated.

I already have placed the folder in C:\xampp\htdocs\application\NoNonsenseForum-master

I have created a "view" page such as C:\xampp\htdocs\application\views\world\johndoesalesforum.php

Having said all of that I have no idea on how to implement NNF into CodeIgiter and get it to work.

Can anybody please guide me?

The file /application/.htaccess is designed to remove permissions that needed to be granted in the website public (root) folder (in your case C:\xampp\htdocs\ )

The .htaccess for no-nonsense needs to be in the root folder which is the same place CodeIgniter needs one if you want to rewrite url's to remove index.php. As you note, there can be only one file named .htaccess. All you need to do is copy commands from one into the other file.

I haven't examined it closely but there is a very real possibility that some of the rewrite rules and/or conditions will interfere with CodeIgniter. You might have to install no-nonsense in a subdomain so as to remove those conflicts.

(05-03-2019, 07:35 AM)dave friend Wrote: The file /application/.htaccess is designed to remove permissions that needed to be granted in the website public (root) folder (in your case C:\xampp\htdocs\ )

The .htaccess for no-nonsense needs to be in the root folder which is the same place CodeIgniter needs one if you want to rewrite url's to remove index.php. As you note, there can be only one file named .htaccess. All you need to do is copy commands from one into the other file.

I haven't examined it closely but there is a very real possibility that some of the rewrite rules and/or conditions will interfere with CodeIgniter. You might have to install no-nonsense in a subdomain so as to remove those conflicts.

OK, thank you. I dont want to create a subdomain. I only want a very simple but effective forum and I did search to see if CodeIgniter had something but I couldn't find anything.

Do you know of anything that is compatible?

The latest commit is 4 years old. Are you sure you want to use an old application like that? What about bug fix and security fix?
CodeIgniter 4 tutorials (EN/FR) - https://includebeer.com
/*** NO support in private message - Use the forum! ***/

(05-06-2019, 11:19 AM)includebeer Wrote: The latest commit is 4 years old. Are you sure you want to use an old application like that? What about bug fix and security fix?

I guess your word "commit" should have been "comment".

I am only a novice, attempting to build a website, because I've been unable to find a competent developer. I've become a believer in "if you want something done properly, then do it yourself". But I do still need help from other people.

The age of an application does not bother me, but if it had bugs and or security risks, then that would bother me.

As I've said "I only want a very simple but effective forum" and NNF appears to be the best I can find, however I'm open to other ideas.

I would prefer a forum that is built into CodeIgniter but I can't find anything like that.

Later I will need a "chat system" similar to a forum but involving 2 persons.

Have you got any suggestions?

No, commit is a GitHub for updating and working with a project.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(05-07-2019, 03:41 AM)InsiteFX Wrote: No, commit is a GitHub for updating and working with a project.

OK, but I'm still no further ahead for my need of a "simple forum" and "chat system".

(05-08-2019, 04:36 AM)christaliise Wrote: OK, but I'm still no further ahead for my need of a "simple forum" and "chat system".

I've never found a production-ready discussion forum built with or for CodeIgniter. There are several tutorials that layout in a very fundamental way the skeleton of a forum. Google is your friend in finding these. There is one solution on GitHub that seems a bit more fully developed than the typical tutorial. But as it says on their GitHub page, "DON'T USE IT AS IS IN A PRODUCTION SERVER, THIS FORUM APP IS STILL IN DEVELOPMENT." [emphasis not added]  It has not had a commit for four years so it would seem development has ceased. You could take the code as a starting point for a DIY solution.

A DIY seems like a great idea until you dive in. It quickly becomes clear that you will need years to make a robust, secure and useful discussion forum. If it was easy you wouldn't see so many big name companies using third-party solutions.

You might not like the subdomain idea but it is usually the easiest and least expensive in terms of both time and money to implement. In case you haven't noticed this very forum is in a subdomain.

(05-08-2019, 08:25 AM)dave friend Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 04:36 AM)christaliise Wrote: OK, but I'm still no further ahead for my need of a "simple forum" and "chat system".

I've never found a production-ready discussion forum built with or for CodeIgniter. There are several tutorials that layout in a very fundamental way the skeleton of a forum. Google is your friend in finding these. There is one solution on GitHub that seems a bit more fully developed than the typical tutorial. But as it says on their GitHub page, "DON'T USE IT AS IS IN A PRODUCTION SERVER, THIS FORUM APP IS STILL IN DEVELOPMENT." [emphasis not added]  It has not had a commit for four years so it would seem development has ceased. You could take the code as a starting point for a DIY solution.

A DIY seems like a great idea until you dive in. It quickly becomes clear that you will need years to make a robust, secure and useful discussion forum. If it was easy you wouldn't see so many big name companies using third-party solutions.

You might not like the subdomain idea but it is usually the easiest and least expensive in terms of both time and money to implement. In case you haven't noticed this very forum is in a subdomain.

OK, the direction I'm thinking is to try NNF within CodeIgniter and see if there are any conflicts, and if there are, attempt to fix them.

If everything fails, then try NNF in a subdomain, and if there are problems, attempt to fix them.

If that fails, then look at something like phpBB or MyBB.

Keep in mind it is NOT an open & public forum that we're wanting.

Having said that, my competence in this subject is very limited.

I don't want to discuss security issues too much publicly. Therefore would you like to send me by personal message, your email address?

I do have much wider issues to discuss with a CodeIgniter expert.

Personally I would look for a forum that is more up to date and being supported.

That has not been touched for over 4 years so I' am sure that there will be security leaks
all over.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB