Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Pop-up vs Lightbox vs iFrame

[eluser]iainco[/eluser]
Hey guys,

In the middle of a project which requires users to click news hyper-links from their personalised homepage that will result in the complete original source article from the publisher's site being displayed. (Links etc are achieved by using an RSS aggregator)

I'm not sure what would be the best way of showing the original source article.

A javascript pop-up linked to the original source would work, but users must be able to use functions (tag, rate, comment), ideally on the same page/window of the source article. So then I thought about a pop-up with an iframe containing the source article's page inside, with my own content below the iframe for the extra functionality, but that strikes me as being seriously messed up and anti SEO.

Then the other option would be a lightbox, which I think will offer a better solution aesthetically... need to do more research but if anyone has came across a similar problem before please let me know!

At first I thought the main problem would be scrollbars, the iframe having scrollbars and perhaps the pop-up as well (including ie's disabled scrollbar, but I know how to get rid of that) So make the pop-up of a decent size and lock the size etc, forcing users to scroll within the iframe.

Thanks a lot

Iain

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
First off, avoid JavaScript pop-ups they no longer work. All modern browsers block them by default so your site will just not work for 80% of your visitors.

Avoid iframes unless you really have to. For this you might. Do you need to show the entire page of the article, because if you didnt you could import that page with cURL and some string functions and take only the part you need.

If thats not an option, using an full-page width iframe might not be the worst option. The scroll-bar would be on the right as normal, just with an extra toolbar with your options.

[eluser]fesweb[/eluser]
I've used a javascript solution that's generally friendlier that pop-ups or Lightbox.

Highslide Javascript (with lot's of demos)

It can:
- reveal hidden content already on your page
- show other pages from any site, via AJAX or regular http
- and other complicated things too

Try it, you won't be sorry.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
If he needs to show the source artile with his content next to it, then this would not help surely.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
thepyromaniac you are right about the blocking of the popups by the browsers but if you want to follow the standards recommendations the target attribute of a link should be replaced by javascript code because then the element behavior is separated from the html code. So your advise on avoiding js popups creates some mixed feelings.

As for the question of iframe vs lightbox. The lightbox uses an iframe to show the website in, it's just hidden in the lightbox code.

When the source site overlays your site some things can happen that are out of your control. The source site can be forced to appear in the parent window so the user will not be on your site anymore.

To make it short : a no problems approach is to open the source link in another window/tab. If you want an overlay you better go with a lightbox solution instead of creating one of your own.

[eluser]ywftdg[/eluser]
I started using lightview for many projects, works great and I think the design function of it all is very top notch. I find using this ideology to be much better if its to grab quick info for the user or show them something briefly.

Lightview: http://www.nickstakenburg.com/projects/lightview/

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB