Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Record label site

[eluser]skeletonfriend[/eluser]
Hi all,

I'm currently developing a site for a record label and I have some difficulties in deciding which way to go with one of the functions/modules in the backend-system.

Right now I'm working with the "Add a new album" part of the backend-system, I'll try to explain my problem....

I've split up the database in several tables:

- albums (info about the specific album)
- album_formats (info about available formats)
- album_types (info about available types...Split, Collaboration, Compilation, Standard and so forth. Different rules apply depending on the type selected)
- album_artists (info about which artist(s) belonging to an album)
- artists (info about artists)

As is:
-------
When the user wants to create an album, he clicks the create album-link and goes to the create album-page. At this moment, the album doesn't exist yet, but somehow I want to make the user able to connect artists to the album before everything is saved (in the same form).
I did come up with the idea to create an album in the db when the user receives the create album-page (with null values, to get the primary key).
The controller first looks into a method in the model class to delete albums older than 10 minutes with null values in it, in order to get rid of faulty albums or whatever.
This way I can add artists to the album "before" it's created...and when I actually post the form, I'll perform an update on the specific album. PUH!

To be:
-------
When I add an artist I redirect to the same controller but add an uri-segment....what I want to do is somehow redirect to the same page, without parameters/uri-segments. But I need to check if the page is posted or not (I don't want to perform updates for every postback). In ASP.NET you check for IsPostBack-event, is there any similar way I can do this?

The easiest way to all this would be to divide it into steps, like a wizard with different pages performing different tasks...but I would, if possible, like to have in one single form/page.

Do any of you perhaps have a better way/idea of handling the flow?

I would really appreciate some thoughts on this....

Messages In This Thread
Record label site - by El Forum - 08-21-2008, 05:26 AM
Record label site - by El Forum - 08-21-2008, 06:19 AM
Record label site - by El Forum - 08-21-2008, 06:30 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB