Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter's Website not written with CodeIgniter

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I noticed that the CodeIgniter website is not running on CodeIgniter, but instead it is reported as being powered by "ExpressionEngine" which I see is another EllisLab product. I was wondering what the CI team thinks about the feasibility of this site running on CodeIgniter?

I am new to CI so I am not too comfortable with it yet, but I wonder how effective CI would be in implementing some of the more complex areas like the Wiki, Blog, and of course, this very forum.

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
CI is a "Web Application Development Framework." CodeIgniter.com is a "Web site" not a "Web application." Sure, the lines are a bit blurred when it comes to the forums, wiki, and bug tracker.

However, Expression Engine is a Web site Content Management System, meant for building Web sites. And, the next version of EE will be built on CI. Hopefully you can grasp the difference between the tools now.

But just to summarize, CI is meant for building Web applications, not necessarily Web sites.

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
Well explained Colin.

Other advantageous of us using ExpressionEngine for this site is the numerous and already tested tools it provides us, such as these forums, the wiki, download tools, etc. The membership system is something we've integrated across expressionengine.com, codeigntier.com and ellislab.com, allowing us to share membership information for people who are part of both communities.

[eluser]J.P.C.[/eluser]
[quote author="Colin Williams" date="1219468411"]CI is a "Web Application Development Framework." CodeIgniter.com is a "Web site" not a "Web application." Sure, the lines are a bit blurred when it comes to the forums, wiki, and bug tracker.

However, Expression Engine is a Web site Content Management System, meant for building Web sites. And, the next version of EE will be built on CI. Hopefully you can grasp the difference between the tools now.

But just to summarize, CI is meant for building Web applications, not necessarily Web sites.[/quote]

As far as I know, a Web site is a web application too. Anyway, I think it isn't a good idea to not be using your own technology, the one you are "selling".
Also this site have some minor troubles with the look, i.e. some of the buttons.
Please, don't take my words in a bad sense. I'm a rookie with CI and I like it very much by now. But the marketing is a powerfull weapon you are not using if you don't take care of that details or if you don't use what you are offering.

Maybe CI grew very fast and, like everyone did in the past sometime, you had to go out with something pre-built like EE. But I see this like an issue to be solved as fast as you can to demonstrate that you are implementing CI in his own main web site.

Nevertheless, it's a good thing to knokw EE will be built on CI in the future.
On the other side, the really important one, CI is running very good and by now is exactly the right framework to me, although I'm a newbie in CI.
I hope you take this as a constructive opinion and thank you for the great work you are doing with CI.
JPC

PD: please, keep documenting the framework. It need more information, i.e. implementing in linux.

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
Quote:Anyway, I think it isn’t a good idea to not be using your own technology, the one you are “selling”.

Umm... they are.

A bit of history here:

EllisLab developed a content management system called pMachine - it's probably the first real "blogging engine" ever released. After awhile, so many modifications were made to pMachine that it was damn near a whole new concept. So, they opted to make it a whole new product - Expression Engine.

Now, fast forward a couple of years after the release of EE and EllisLab has some beautiful code sitting there powering it. So - what do they do? They decide to package that bad boy up into a kickass framework and release it as CodeIgniter.

Now, since CodeIgniter is so mature, the roles have kind of reversed. Whereas, CI started as a bunch of code pulled from EE - EllisLab has decided it's time to write EE2 on top of CI.

So - the website you are looking at is comprised of CI code, but it wasn't as organized and didn't have it's own name back then. In the very near future, the website you are looking at will built off of CI because it's going to run on EE2, which is built on CI.

Additionally, yes a website is a web application. But, why would you make an entire CI application just to serve static HTML files? Why not take CI and built a CMS out of it, add in Forums, a Wiki, Bug Tracker, and more? Well - if you did that, you'd have EE.

Finally, the Ruby on Rails site as well as all of 37signals websites (not the applications but the sites promoting them, purchases, etc) are powered by PHP. Use the right tool for the job at hand - no reason trying to turn a screw with a hammer.

[eluser]Sarfaraz Momin[/eluser]
Fantatic Guys !!! Way to go. Mike & Colin. I think there won't be a better explaination to this topic and we all are glad to have guys like you with us in this community.

Keep up the good work !!!

[eluser]J.P.C.[/eluser]
Thanks for your replay.
Interesting history and that explain the relationship between CI and EE, and why this website is using it. Also, it contribute to the general idea that great frameworks are created based on real successful aplications.
But, just like me, there we'll be many others asking themself the same question I did. Obviously, people how don't know that history.
So I hope the next version of this website have a "powered/fueled by codeigniter" in it to make it clear to everyone.

About the right tool for the right task I'm 100% agree with you. I'm a senior PHP/Java developer, so I know what you are talking about.
Still, I think if I was, i.e., a book seller who needs a web site, with forums, news, etc. probably I will be using EE.
But, if my business is the creation of a framework to build web sites, probably I will be making my own web sites with my own techonology. And I make it extensibly to Ruby on Rails too, of course. But it's just me.

Anyway, now I know you are using EE, based on CI, in this website.
I insist, the real important thing is CI is working excellent, have a lot of potential and is a minor detail the use of CI for this website.
Best regards!

[eluser]Xeoncross[/eluser]
[quote author="J.P.C." date="1221775206"]Thanks for your replay.
if my business is the creation of a framework to build web sites, probably I will be making my own web sites with my own techonology.[/quote]

First, CI isn't EllisLab's main business - EE is. Therefore everything should be powered by Expression Engine because that is what they are selling. They aren't selling CI...

Second, EE and CI are just the names given to two collections of PHP that contain a lot of the same code. So you could say that CI and EE both run parts of this site. And if they made another XY system from these two it also could be said that it powers this site.

You seem to be objecting/asserting a point you don't understand.

[eluser]J.P.C.[/eluser]
[quote author="Xeoncross" date="1221781477"]
You seem to be objecting/asserting a point you don't understand.[/quote]

Sure, but maybe because it isn't that clear, and that's what and why we are talking about.
Besides, your explanation isn't necessary since Michael replay.
There he already wrote what you recently wrote too. That doesn't make sense.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB