Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Email addresses with a "+" are not parsed correctly

[eluser]sophistry[/eluser]
ha ha! wow, thanks for the link to the "impenetrable RFC 2822 email address parser." so, that's how you'd do it if you wanted to be completely impractical and gosh-darned complex! ;-)

the set of atext "visible chars" i suggested above could become the CI-approved email address standard which would cover 99% of email addresses anyone would ever really use. the gargantuan email address parser is really dealing mostly with edge cases and quoted literals (which would be a real bugbear in an autolink function).

maybe the accepted email chars should go into a config setting like the permitted uri setting? in fact, shouldn't the whole "email detector" regex go into its own function to make it more adaptable/extendable?

BTW, there is another problem with the current email detector: it detects a domain with a hostname ( e.g., [email protected] ) but, it puts the hostname in $matches[2] and the domain and tld in $matches[3]. But, with an email address with no hostname $matches[2] has the domain alone and $matches[3] has the tld alone.

i know you can easily explode('@',$matches[0]); to get the data but, the function should standardize what it captures in the sub-patterns. so that $matches contains a standard set of captured data.

here's some new test code that standardizes $matches:

Code:
<?php

class Test extends Controller {

function Test()
    {
        parent::Controller();
    }

function index()
    {
        $chars = '-.a-zA-Z0-9#!$%&*+/\'=?^_`{}|~';
        $len = strlen($chars);
        $i=0;
        print_r($chars); echo '<br>';
        while ($i<$len)
        {
            preg_match(":[$chars]:", $chars[$i], $matches);
            $i++;
            print_r($matches[0]);
        }

// test on "real" addresses
        $strs = array(
                    "back|to=school~w0w.does+this^[email protected]",
                    "back{to}school-does+this^[email protected]",
                    'back{to}school#[email protected]',
                    '[email protected]',
                    '[email protected]',
                    '[email protected]',
                    '[email protected]',
                    '[email protected]',
                    'h#[email protected]',
                    '[email protected]',
                    'h$[email protected]',
                    'h%[email protected]',
                    'h&r;@example.com',
                    'h*[email protected]',
                    '[email protected]',
                    'h/[email protected]',
                    "h'[email protected]",
                    '[email protected]',
                    '[email protected]',
                    'h^[email protected]',
                    '[email protected]',
                    'h`[email protected]',
                    'h{[email protected]',
                    'h}[email protected]',
                    'h|[email protected]',
                    '[email protected]',
                    '[email protected]',
                    );
        $chars_not_dot = '-a-z0-9#!$%&*+/\'=?^_`{}|~';
        foreach ($strs as $s)
        {
            preg_match_all(";([$chars_not_dot][$chars_not_dot.]+)@((?:[-a-z0-9]+)\.(?:[-.a-z0-9]*));i", $s, $matches);
            p($matches);
        }

}

}

/* End of file test.php */

Messages In This Thread
Email addresses with a "+" are not parsed correctly - by El Forum - 08-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Email addresses with a "+" are not parsed correctly - by El Forum - 08-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Email addresses with a "+" are not parsed correctly - by El Forum - 08-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Email addresses with a "+" are not parsed correctly - by El Forum - 08-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Email addresses with a "+" are not parsed correctly - by El Forum - 08-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Email addresses with a "+" are not parsed correctly - by El Forum - 08-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Email addresses with a "+" are not parsed correctly - by El Forum - 08-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Email addresses with a "+" are not parsed correctly - by El Forum - 08-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Email addresses with a "+" are not parsed correctly - by El Forum - 08-29-2008, 09:58 AM
Email addresses with a "+" are not parsed correctly - by El Forum - 08-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Email addresses with a "+" are not parsed correctly - by El Forum - 08-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Email addresses with a "+" are not parsed correctly - by El Forum - 08-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Email addresses with a "+" are not parsed correctly - by El Forum - 08-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Email addresses with a "+" are not parsed correctly - by El Forum - 09-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Email addresses with a "+" are not parsed correctly - by El Forum - 09-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Email addresses with a "+" are not parsed correctly - by El Forum - 09-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Email addresses with a "+" are not parsed correctly - by El Forum - 09-11-2008, 07:47 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB