Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
I'm at a standstill....need help with controllers (theory)

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
Quote:Because obviously I have no plan table in my database, there are many tables in my database that eventually becomes the plan. Is this when the idea of a “plan” object focused controller breaks down a bit and I need to look at smaller controllers?

So, a plan is still an object, it's just represented by several tables. An object need not map to a single table. Models need not even map to a single table.

Do you need to break that down into smaller controllers? I don't necessarily think so, unless there are enough independent actions to take on each piece of a plan, or there will be in a later phase. MVC is an organizational pattern, so designing your app can be a bit like information architecture. Ask yourself, "6 months from now, when I need to update the 'plan' system, where is the most logical place I or another programmer would look?"

This is partly why documenting as you build is a good idea because every time you find yourself adding another caveat to an explaination, you discover areas that could be organized more intuitively.

Messages In This Thread
I'm at a standstill....need help with controllers (theory) - by El Forum - 08-30-2008, 11:58 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB