Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Homebrewed forum written in CI (with FreakAuth Light authentication)

[eluser]taewoo[/eluser]
There are LOTS of forum threads out there where people are asking how to integrate phpbb, vanilla, etc forums with CI. Including myself. I was going to wait till EE 2.0 comes out but I can't wait on unknown. So i decided to write one myself.

IT's basically one controller, one model, and a couple of views... The post is too long so I figured I'd first ask the community to see if anyone wants it. If i do see some interest, i'll reply with a long ass post. Smile

PS: The forum works sorta like this CI forum. Heck, i figured I'm in this forum so much that I might as well "borrow" its design. Wink

PPS: To see this forum in action.. go to http://www.Redmol.com/forum/. There's not much there but heck, you can see it at least.

[eluser]stuffradio[/eluser]
It's interesting... I do love CI and CI accessories Smile

[eluser]bigtimslim[/eluser]
I'd like to go through and see how it works.

[eluser]loathsome[/eluser]
Any plans on releasing the source code?

[eluser]mglinski[/eluser]
I was wondering about something like this and I would love to help you get ready for wide consumption
Send me PM if interested Wink
-Matt

[eluser]esra[/eluser]
Taewoo... nice forum. Bookmarked the site for later visits and will follow this thread with great interest. It sould be interesting to see where you are going with the project.

[eluser]Crimp[/eluser]
I like your approach. The old PHP forum heavyweights just got too heavy for their own good. Vanilla returned to the core. It's great to have a forum that focuses on the prime function of a forum, threaded conversations, and not building a great big social facebook of user profiles and 2387 smilies.

[eluser]taewoo[/eluser]
Ok i am replying to this in multi-step b/c there are too much too copy + paste into text box.

This is SQL for my table and categories on Redmol.com forum:

Code:
drop table if exists forum;
create table forum (
    id                    int unsigned not null auto_increment primary key,
    user_id                int unsigned not null,
    title                varchar(100) null,
    description            text not null,
    city                 varchar(30) null,
    state                 char(2) null,
    forum_id            int unsigned null,
    forum_category_id    int unsigned not null,
    last_reply            int unsigned not null default '0',
    num_replies            int unsigned not null default '0',
    created                int unsigned not null,
    modified            int unsigned not null,
    active                tinyint unsigned not null default '1',
    key                    user_idx(user_id),
    key                    title_idx(title),
    -- key                    description_idx(description),
    key                    forum_category_idx(forum_category_id),
    key                    forum_idx(forum_id),
    key                    city_idx(city),
    key                    state_idx(state),
    key                    last_reply_idx(last_reply),
    key                    created_idx(created),
    key                    modified_idx(modified),
    key                    active_idx(active)
) engine=innodb;

drop table if exists forum_category;

create table forum_category (
    id                        int unsigned not null primary key,
    name                    varchar(255) not null,
    description                text null,
    forum_category_id        int unsigned null,
    num_topics                int unsigned not null default 0,
    num_replies                int unsigned not null default 0,
    last_forum_id        int unsigned null,
    key                        forum_category_idx(forum_category_id)
) engine=innodb;

insert into forum_category(id, name, description, forum_category_id, num_topics, num_replies, last_forum_id ) values
    (1, "Redmol Lounge", NULL, NULL, 0, 0, NULL),
    (2, "Deal Talk", NULL, NULL, 0, 0, NULL),
    (3, "Money and Management", NULL, NULL, 0, 0, NULL);

insert into forum_category(id, name, description, forum_category_id, num_topics, num_replies, last_forum_id) values
    (10, "Features & Requests", "Have feature requests? Find bugs? Help us help you!",        1, 0, 0, NULL),
    (11, "Introduce yourself", "New to RedMol.com? Don't be a stranger and say hello!",        1, 0, 0, NULL),
    (12, "Deal in Progress", "Working on a deal and need help?",                            2, 0, 0, NULL),
    (13, "Foreclosure/Rehabbing", "Buy low, rent high",                                        2, 0, 0, NULL),
    (14, "Commercial Properties", "Apartments, retail, office, NNN, etc.",                    2, 0, 0, NULL),
    (15, "Law and Legal", "Legal questions and business side of Real Estate Investing",        3, 0, 0, NULL),
    (16, "Notes, options, and liens.", "Invest in Real Estate without all of the Landlord hassles.",    3, 0, 0, NULL),
    (17, "Tax strategies", "It is not what you make, it is what you keep.",                    3, 0, 0, NULL),
    (18, "Property management", "For long term 'Buy and Hold' investors.",                    3, 0, 0, NULL);

I'm not going to attach the view b/c it really won't apply to you since I'm sure your and my view requirements are different. But if you're a CI developer, you should be able to pick up pretty quickly.

If you are wondering what data is rendered to the view, just do "print_r" on the $data variable at the end of the controller.

[eluser]taewoo[/eluser]
Ah crap. I can't attach source code (b/c of mime type) or copy paste (too long).

Anybody have any suggestion?

[eluser]mglinski[/eluser]
zip the files up and send to an uploading site like turboupload.com.
once uploaded just paste the download link here.
-Matt

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB