Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Uber-simple login script...

[eluser]Tim Skoch[/eluser]
I wanted a simple way to block all public access to a site except for a few whitelisted controllers. This is what I came up with. I'm using a pre_controller hook. I'd like to use a pre_system hook (because I'm irrationally paranoid :-) ), but I cannot think of a good way to get the routed URI's that early.

Anyway - any thoughts from the community? Criticism? Is this secure? Can I make it even simpler? So far it seems to work great! It also maintains user activity timestamps (for logged-in users only) in session variables, and expires logins automatically.

The hook definition:
Code:
$hook['pre_controller'] = array(
    'class'     =>  '',
    'function'  =>  'startSession',
    'filename'  =>  'login.php',
    'filepath'  =>  'hooks',
    'params'    =>  array()
);

The hook script:
Code:
<?
function startSession() {
    session_start();

$site_url               =   'http://example.com/';
    $loginLength            =   60 * 60;            //  In seconds
    $controllerWhitelist    =   array('view');      //  An array of safe controllers which anyone can access
    $URI                    =&  load_class('URI');  //  Allows us to call the URI class early (since it hasn't been defined yet)

if (!in_array($URI->rsegment(1), $controllerWhitelist)) {
        if (isset($_SESSION['name'])) {
            //  The user is already logged in
            if (    isset(      $_SESSION['lastactivity'])
                 && is_numeric( $_SESSION['lastactivity'])
                 && ((time()-   $_SESSION['lastactivity'])>$loginLength)
                ) {
                dieFcn('Login expired<br /><a href="'.$site_url.'">home</a>');
            }
            $_SESSION['lastactivity'] = time();
        } else {
            $usernameField = 'username';
            $passwordField = 'password';
            if (    isset(  $_POST[$usernameField])
                 && isset(  $_POST[$passwordField])) {
                    //  Credentials were sent, now check them
                    mysql_connect('db_host', 'db_userName', 'db_pw') or die('login error');
                    mysql_select_db('db_dbName') or die('login error');
                    $result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE name='".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST[$usernameField])."' AND pw='".mysql_real_escape_string(md5($_POST[$passwordField]))."'");
                    if (mysql_num_rows($result)==1) {
                        $user=mysql_fetch_assoc($result);
                        $_SESSION['name'] = $user['name'];;
                        $_SESSION['logintime'] = time();
                        $_SESSION['lastactivity'] = time();
                    } else {
                        dieFcn('invalid login<br /><a href="'.$site_url.'">home</a>');
                    }
            } else {
                $dieString = <<<HEREDOC
                    Hey!  Here is some message explaining that users need to
                    <br />
                    &lt;form method="post" action=""&gt;
                        <br />&lt;input type="text"        name="$usernameField"/&gt;
                        <br />&lt;input type="password"    name="$passwordField"/&gt;
                        <br />&lt;input type="submit"      value="Login"/&gt;
                    &lt;/form&gt;
HEREDOC;
                dieFcn($dieString);
            }
        }
    }
}

function dieFcn($message='') {
    session_destroy();
    die($message);
}
?&gt;

[eluser]crumpet[/eluser]
if you really want to be secure you can use javascript to md5 the password before sending it encase someone is listening - or ssh i guess.

Also this statement : isset( $_SESSION['lastactivity'])
&& is_numeric( $_SESSION['lastactivity'])
&& ((time()- $_SESSION['lastactivity'])>$loginLength)
will fail if last activity is not a number.. so a user could steal a cookie and tamper it to have lastactivity = 'a' or something and it would last forever...

Thanks!

The JavaScript idea sounds fun.

I don't understand how someone could tamper with a $_SESSION[] variable, though. When PHP uses sessions, the only thing it sends to the user is their session ID - it stores all of the data on the server (at least that's what I understood - but I've been wrong before!). Hence, all they could POTENTIALLY do is spoof a session which wasn't theirs. But I don't think they can inject arbitrary data into the $_SERVER variables.

Anyway, thanks for the input! :-)

[eluser]crumpet[/eluser]
i don't think that php does that natively. you need ot write a session library specifically to have it store the data on the server. You can enable it in the codeigniter configuration files.. but you have to create a special table in your database for the session to be stored in.

Hrmmm, looking into it further I really think PHP sessions only store the session ID on the client - all of the other data looks like it's stored on the server, isolated from the user. :-S Anyone else care to chime in?

[eluser]crumpet[/eluser]
sorry, you are right on this one. I wonder why people in the community seem to value sessions storing in mysql database...
anyone?

Maybe just the ease with which doing so allows you to save historical session info? User tracking? Unless you plan to save the info, I don't see any advantage to putting it into a database. Hmmm...

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB