Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Authentication/User management: What's the best option?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hello,

What's the best option for handling authentication and user management in CI at this point?

I've read a bunch of old articles and posts and couldn't find a clear answer (several efforts seemed abandoned). Is there a library that's current and working? Will this functionality be included in the next version of CI?

Thanks. Smile

[eluser]John Fuller[/eluser]
I think building your own is the only way to go at this point.

[eluser]Randy Casburn[/eluser]
You've asked for opinions...you'll get many. My opinion is to put your authentication into a library and us it throughout all of your CI applications. Others take different approaches. There are several efforts that are actively being supported...

Here is a link the to wiki pages of three open source solutions:

http://codeigniter.com/wiki/Category:Con...ntication/

and here is link to a closed source, commercial solution I've proposed:

http://plurious.com/ci

and the corresponding forum topic: http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/91880/

Hope this is helpful,

Randy

Oh...and no, Authentication and it's brother Authorization (ACL) will not be provided in the next release of CI.

[eluser]Developer13[/eluser]
[quote author="Randy Casburn" date="1224630871"]Oh...and no, Authentication and it's brother Authorization (ACL) will not be provided in the next release of CI.[/quote]

And I hope they never will...

[eluser]John Fuller[/eluser]
[quote author="Developer13" date="1224638208"][quote author="Randy Casburn" date="1224630871"]Oh...and no, Authentication and it's brother Authorization (ACL) will not be provided in the next release of CI.[/quote]

And I hope they never will...[/quote]

Are you trying to start something? Wink

[eluser]Developer13[/eluser]
[quote author="John Fuller" date="1224638462"][quote author="Developer13" date="1224638208"][quote author="Randy Casburn" date="1224630871"]Oh...and no, Authentication and it's brother Authorization (ACL) will not be provided in the next release of CI.[/quote]

And I hope they never will...[/quote]

Are you trying to start something? Wink[/quote]

Not at all - just agreeing with you and Randy. I don't think ACL and whatnot should be built into the framework. I think some nicely maintained drop-in libraries would be great, but it doesn't belong in the framework itself.

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hey John and Randy,

Thanks for your responses. I guess I'll review the library options again and/or consider what to include if I write my own (though most frameworks include this functionality).

[eluser]manilodisan[/eluser]
You may also try Webber which is based on Codeigniter and comes with a built-in advanced user administration and also capable of extending with modules.

Sorry manilodisan, I didn't consciously leave you out. Why don't you add your self to the wiki page I listed above so you can get included when these things get mentioned. I for one always use that as a listing to point folks to.

Randy

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB