Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Dreamhost Database Error issue

[eluser]freakish777[/eluser]
Hey All,

I'm new to PHP, CodeIgniter, and Dreamhost (professionally I'm an ASP.NET 3.5 developer, but have a friend I'm helping create a website who had already created a DreamHost account, and figured learning php is something I should get around to anyways). In any event, I've set up my database.php file with:

$db['default']['hostname'] = "localhost";
$db['default']['username'] = "myusername";
$db['default']['password'] = "mypassword";
$db['default']['database'] = "myDBname";
$db['default']['dbdriver'] = "mysql";

and I've set up the autoloader.php file with:

$autoload['libraries'] = array('database');

Lastly in the Dreamhost panel I've set up the myusername account with access from the following hosts:

%.dreamhost.com
%
%.%.%.%
%.mywebsite.com
myipaddress

But I still receive the:

"A Database Error Occurred

Unable to connect to your database server using the provided settings."

error message. Is there something I'm overlooking?

Bump.

Is anyone else here using Dreamhost and using mySQL?

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
I don't think Dreamhost uses "localhost". I think its something like "name_you_setup.sitename.com". I believe its visible from your control panel.

DreamHost does in fact set up a database at "myDBname.mywebsite.com" where you can use their Query/Command Line only UI to access it. However in their wiki they say to use "localhost" as the hostname (presumably because your configuration and library files will be in a directory on the site itself). I did try it with $db[‘default’][‘hostname’] = "myDBname.mywebsite.com" and it didn't work, however I may have had something else wrong at that time, I'll try it that way again in case.

EDIT: Works, thanks. I apparently got confused because their wiki says to use "localhost" when using a third party tool to connect to the database (meaning mySQL 5 or some other database software, it was somewhat late when I was doing this last night and talking with the friend who I'm helping).

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB