Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
What is wrong with narf ?

This is serious question. What is wrong with narf ?
Example: https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter/issues/3431

It seems like he is under way too much stress to handle public.
Anything anyone says he just creates flame wars.

This can not be good for the future of the CodeIgniter.
I think he should be banned from development team if this continues.
Angel

Try to deal with a lot of stupid people and, in the same time, be gentle with their feelings. It's rough. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes... No one would...

narf has been maintaining CI for a long time, often with little or no help and probably, for a great deal of that time, with little or no idea of what the future held for CI. More often than not he is simply terse and doesn't take the time to explain himself, which, in most cases, is not an issue in itself. Occasionally people take offense to this (especially those unfamiliar with him), which sometimes leads to flame wars, in which he is clearly not afraid to take part.

None of this means he should be banned from the development team. At most, it is a reason, if resources permit, to have someone with better public relations skills filter the GitHub issues before he gets to them. The fact that CodeIgniter is still around is evidence enough that he isn't going to be the end of CodeIgniter on his own.

Honestly, if you opened a support ticket on some issue trackers for much larger projects than CodeIgniter, you'd probably get far worse a reaction than anything you've seen from narf.

Narf is and has been an indispensable part of the CodeIgniter development team. A number of community members have stepped up over the last few months, with contributions, but the *core* has come from Narf.

Unfortunately, the number of inappropriate contributions (eg merge one's favorite addon) and support requests (filed as github issues) has increased as well. These detract from fixing bugs and getting version 3 out the door.

I stand behind Narf's terseness - it is appropriate given that he, like the rest of us, is volunteering to work on the framework, and only has so many hours in a day or week to contribute. I have gotten more terse myself over the last few months, given my workload, and have been accused of being rude and disrespectful too.

Flame wars on a public forum - that comes with the territory, though they have to sometimes be muffled.
Personal attacks on a public forum - not appropriate. Such issues should be raised with me, thank you.

Narf is a hero to some, and a Super Hero for anyone that works with codeigniter.
I am a codeigniter developer and i completely support Narf. He carried this framework on his shoulders for a long time.

anyone telling Narf to be "nicer to the users of codeigniter" - just does not understand who they are talking to. there might not be a codeigniter right now without him because ellis lab did absolutely nothing with the framework for a very long time. and then they spent a year trying to find a new owner.

through all that time and even when it looked like there was no hope of Codeigniter ever coming back to active development there was one consistent person maintaining it: Narf.

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2015, 10:17 PM by Nichiren.)

I was actually surprised and impressed by how often Narf responds to the community no matter how seemingly irrelevant the question or where it was posted. I deal with very large communities myself and oftentimes get inundated with good, bad, and ridiculous questions and suggestions where my most common response is no response at all. I've only been tuned in to the CI community over the past few days with no knowledge of the lay of the land and yet it was immediately obvious that he is instrumental to CI. Not someone you want to be booting off the development team just because he's opinionated (something you actually want in a developer) and someone's feelings got hurt.

The problem is not Narf but new users that refuse to read the CodeIgniter Users Guide. If they did read it
there would be a lot less complaints and questions on how to do something or why am I getting this ERROR!
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(03-05-2015, 01:55 AM)Tux Wrote: This is serious question. What is wrong with narf ?
Example: https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter/issues/3431

It seems like he is under way too much stress to handle public.
Anything anyone says he just creates flame wars.

This can not be good for the future of the CodeIgniter.
I think he should be banned from development team if this continues.

I'm sorry ... what?!
Thumbs Up 

Vote for Narf. 

(03-06-2015, 02:59 AM)InsiteFX Wrote: The problem is not Narf but new users that refuse to read the CodeIgniter Users Guide. If they did read it
there would be a lot less complaints and questions on how to do something or why am I getting this ERROR!

I think some new coder people cannot understand the user guide on codeigniter 3 may be issue, when I first looked at it was bit confused at start took couple days easy to understand and then found out can switch to clean version of user guide.

I think for the new coders would be easy for user guide if like on codeigniter 2.2.1.

For my self I have gone back down from CI - 3 to CI - 2.2.1 
There's only one rule - please don't tell anyone to go and read the manual.  Sometimes the manual just SUCKS!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB