Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
asp.net developer - new to the OS scene - need advice

[eluser]Sgt Quagmire[/eluser]
Yea I agree with you about rails. I pretty much let the other web devs out there who had already tried it make my decision for me. After reading literally hundreds of articles about php, rails, django, etc, etc and their corresponding frameworks, I finally decided that I was going to dive into a framework and try it out. So how did I decide to go with Codigniter?..

I realized that just about everyone who had used CI loved it, or they heard about someone who loved it. Rails got alot of trash talk about performance and scalability, CakePHP being pretty much a php port of rails got the same treatment. Zend looked like the Asp.net of php, which is what I do at work so nope to that one.

The 2 frameworks that took a close spot behind CI for me was Kohana and Yii. Both are young, yet growing rapidly. They also use OOP and PHP5 which, whether old school php'ers like it or not, is much better coding practice and allows for an efficient way to re-use code and separate functionality from presentation.

The reason I went with CI was the same reasons you hear all over the place - great documentation, responsive community (although this post hasn't received much love lol), and it's so damn intuitive that it's almost fun.

I just hope CI goes php5 sooner than later. If not then I can see myself heading Kohana's way in the future. But I seriously doubt that such a successful framework would let itself get stuck in a technology of the past.

While I'm here I'd like to thank everyone in these forums. Because of the great support around here I already have a shell site made which has phpBB forums built in. I plan on making my own freelancer/developement site and I would like to contribute back to the community with code snippets and links back to this great site. Bought the domain name WebThirsty.com - I know a little cheesy but I hope it serves me well. Thanks again!

Messages In This Thread
asp.net developer - new to the OS scene - need advice - by El Forum - 03-06-2009, 10:10 AM
asp.net developer - new to the OS scene - need advice - by El Forum - 03-07-2009, 01:48 PM
asp.net developer - new to the OS scene - need advice - by El Forum - 03-09-2009, 11:53 AM
asp.net developer - new to the OS scene - need advice - by El Forum - 03-09-2009, 12:04 PM
asp.net developer - new to the OS scene - need advice - by El Forum - 03-09-2009, 12:56 PM
asp.net developer - new to the OS scene - need advice - by El Forum - 03-09-2009, 02:46 PM
asp.net developer - new to the OS scene - need advice - by El Forum - 03-09-2009, 03:50 PM
asp.net developer - new to the OS scene - need advice - by El Forum - 03-09-2009, 04:00 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB