Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Insecure Form_validation rule "encode_php_tags"

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
At the moment if I were to enter <?pHp, <?Php, <?phP etc then it would get through.

Current code:
Code:
function encode_php_tags($str)
    {
        return str_replace(array('<?php', '<?PHP', '<?', '?>'),  array('<?php', '<?PHP', '<?', '?>'), $str);
    }

Should be:

Code:
function encode_php_tags($str)
    {
        return str_ireplace(array('<?php', '<?', '?>'),  array('<?php', '<?', '?>'), $str);
    }

str_ireplace is case-sensitive so all combinations of upper/lower-case will be matched.

[eluser]Tim Brownlaw[/eluser]
Sorry for sounding "anal" Phil but I think you meant to say

"str_ireplace is NOT case-sensitive........."

Good pickup by the way...

The function "encode_php_tags" occurs in 3 places
helpers/security_helper.php
libraries/Form_validation.php and
libraries/Validation.php

Cheers
Tim

[eluser]Derek Jones[/eluser]
What's the security issue, Phil? <?pHp is going to be converted to <pHp. Also, str_ireplace() is PHP5 only. It does seem silly to replace the 'php' and 'PHP' at all, though.

The security issue is that this function is suppored to encode all PHP tags and it does not. If str_ireplace is out of the question the a simple regular expression would achieve the same goal.

It may be silly and I have never used this validation method, but this just doesn't do what it says on the tin. :-)

And yea Tim, I said the wrong thing... oops. >.<

Phil, you still are not describing a security issue. The PHP tags are all going to be encoded by the 3rd and 4th elements of the find/replace arrays. The first two are redundant and unnecessary. It doesn't need to cue off of any letters at all, case-sensitive or otherwise.

Touché sir, touché. I made the observation late at night and didn't think to re-check when I was more awake. :red:

I'm still glad you pointed it out, afterall, the first two array elements are silly. :-D

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB