Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Just what is a "Model" supposed to be in CI?

[eluser]BrianDHall[/eluser]
[quote author="Chrisbloom7" date="1254258475"]Thanks for all of the additional information. It sounds like DMZ was what really sold you on CI. I will take a look at it.

Did you experiment with Kohana at all? I see it's based off of CI, but it doesn't seem to have improved upon the model implementation, at least not by the looks of the documentation.[/quote]

I was going to try Kohana as I heard a lot of comments here that they found ORM was just such a huge improvement to their coding, and everyone said CI didn't have it.

I was very happy with CI, but after my first project I was running into all its limits and wondered if I shouldn't have chosen something else. It just didn't seem to go far enough to the next level - it sold me on the framework concept, but something was missing.

I was going to then try out Kohana, but the documentation and forum I found less useful and I found multiple complaints of stability between versions (they seem to mind less if old scripts break, for good or for ill) and I was paranoid in using a 'system' to begin with - I create enough headaches on my own, thanks!

So then I found DMZ and it filled the hole of ORM and I did some more learning of CI and found it to work just fine. I still really hated forms and it seemed like there must be a better way to do it, it seems like I spend most of my time just dealing with forms! I was going to make my own, then found Overzealous' idea to be just what I was after.

Now whenever I find an annoyance I find it easy enough to get around, like enabling query strings if I have to have them or running CI from the command line, auto-configuring CI for localhost or live use, extending a class if I must (which I've yet to do, I've found the constructor of my controller just fine for what I need), etc.

Now I just don't feel like I'm missing anything, so why look anywhere else? I have debugging working great in multiple different IDEs (PHPed, Netbeans, Eclipse, and more - take your pick), I have yet to see the need for unit testing (and there are solutions people have come up with to bring it to CI), I regularly bend URLs to spur of the moment wills.

To this day I've yet to find a single instance where CI was the problem - its always been my own code that had the bugs, and with a debugger I haven't yet had one that was really a super pain in the ass to find. Ok, 1 - my localhost sessions on my first project work weird, but are fine on live. Go figure - they use to work, not sure what I did to break them and don't really care enough to find out.

Also, CI easily supports drop-in libraries from other frameworks like Zend, so you get the advantage of their bloated libraries (if you really insist) without the...well, bloat.

Messages In This Thread
Just what is a "Model" supposed to be in CI? - by El Forum - 05-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Just what is a "Model" supposed to be in CI? - by El Forum - 05-03-2009, 05:22 AM
Just what is a "Model" supposed to be in CI? - by El Forum - 05-03-2009, 07:11 AM
Just what is a "Model" supposed to be in CI? - by El Forum - 05-03-2009, 07:17 AM
Just what is a "Model" supposed to be in CI? - by El Forum - 08-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Just what is a "Model" supposed to be in CI? - by El Forum - 08-20-2009, 05:47 AM
Just what is a "Model" supposed to be in CI? - by El Forum - 08-20-2009, 06:25 AM
Just what is a "Model" supposed to be in CI? - by El Forum - 09-29-2009, 07:42 AM
Just what is a "Model" supposed to be in CI? - by El Forum - 09-29-2009, 07:46 AM
Just what is a "Model" supposed to be in CI? - by El Forum - 09-29-2009, 07:53 AM
Just what is a "Model" supposed to be in CI? - by El Forum - 09-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Just what is a "Model" supposed to be in CI? - by El Forum - 09-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Just what is a "Model" supposed to be in CI? - by El Forum - 09-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Just what is a "Model" supposed to be in CI? - by El Forum - 09-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Just what is a "Model" supposed to be in CI? - by El Forum - 09-29-2009, 11:55 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB