Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
PyroCMS Developer Competition

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
PyroCMS is in need of a few major features that will turn it from a "fairly useful CMS" into a bloody brilliant one. The sad fact is I do not have enough time to work the 9-5 and develop every night, so many of these features have not passed (or even got to) concept form.

Being the generous and wealthy guy I am, I'm offering a huge bounty of £50 to the best working contribution to for any of the following features.

Blocks / Widgets

A Block or Widget planner would allow people to add in various boxes to their site much the same as the WordPress 2.8 release. This would allow users to add RSS feeds, link lists, recent posts, twitter comments, etc to any site and order them dynamically.

Module installer / uninstaller

Using a database table to track modules with an upload function, users could upload zipped files via an interface then click "install" which would unzip and run the install SQL.

Search

Find a nice modular way to search content on the frontend and have results combined in an intuitive and speedy fashion.

Video module

Allow videos to be uploaded and organized by category. I was considering some integration with various API's to allow videos to be uploaded and tracked on the current server, or third-party sources such as YouTube or Vimeo.

Template Editing

Allow templates to be edited and versioned through a GUI in the admin panel with preview options. Would let admins change things without needing to call in the designers.

------------------------------

If the £50 was not reason enough: it will give you great experience in using Git, developing for a CMS and will get you a spot on the team if you fancy it.

The code will stored on GitHub in the project pyrocms-competition and anybody who wishes to enter can request access. Each competitor will have their own branch and any commits to the wrong place will just be reverted.

Contributions will be uploaded to http://competition.pyrocms/branchname and a vote will be taken to find a winner.

The competition deadline is August 1st, so there is plenty of time to get entries in.

All contributions will be considered for implementation but only one will win the financially life-changing first-prize.

[eluser]Yorick Peterse[/eluser]
I'll see what I can develop, once I finished Kitabu, Flork and your template Tongue

It looks like you may well win Yorick... by default! :-p

Looks like I need to raise the stakes a little.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
Maybe you should first document the CMS, how to work with it, how to extend the core. Maybe it's not needed to change the core to add one of the features you want.

Or to make people warm to participate explain how you think the feature should be added which gives an idea where the additional code can hook in. I understand your view to give the developers all the freedom but if they get lost in the files from the start people aren't going to bother to write code.

This is very true. Documentation is something I should really look into. I hadnt considered it as several people have dived in recently with contributions and never even asked how things work.

I'll give see what I can do with some automatic PHP documentation and then write up the rest myself.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB