Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
What I REALLY would like in this forum...

[eluser]jdfwarrior[/eluser]
I think they should be thrown into a pool of sharks with frickin laser beams and IF they make it out alive, then they can post. JK, obviously.

I agree with some of the other replies here that helping a noob is good and having a large community and all is as well. However, as mentioned in my previous post, I like helping people, but I get tired of people who don't try to help themselves. I get tired of the people who don't even make an attempt to find the answer before the post a question. If your trying.. if you've tried other code and just having problems and can't figure it out, or looking for ideas on something, looking for advice, then fine, I have no problem helping people. I don't like it when people come in though, and say "hey how do I do X?". They don't give any info on, "I've tried this and this but it doesnt work.." or "I've search here and her and read this but can't seem to figure it out". It shows that they are putting forth no effort to try to find a solution themselves. They are looking for someone to lay it out in front of them. Therefore they don't LEARN what was wrong, and don't gain any experience from it except, "Hey I can go ask any stupid question and not even try to find it and they will help"

Someone said, cant remember who, that stupid questions and such are ignored and get criticized around here. Not really. CI forums is such a good community that most of the time people will just answer to do it. That has its good and bad points. If others would force them to search or at least attempt to check the user guide first, it would hopefully get them out of the habit of coming in and just asking stupid questions.

I do think we need sticky threads.. or.. sections/topics marked as, "For Beginners" to have all the beginner level stuff archived there instead of having the SAME thing posted every day.

Sorry for the long rant. Just my opinion..

[eluser]GSV Sleeper Service[/eluser]
I just want some kittens, maybe the odd unicorn or two, even just a plain old pony would be nice.

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
OK, here I go again. I know that some people aren't quite as patient as me (and even I have my 'off' days), but I feel that some people simply don't know how to look for things. It's not always laziness, although I understand that it is a lot of the time. Generally, I will try to help get someone on the right path to finding out the answers themselves. If they can't be bothered, then they don't receive any help from me. What I'm saying, is I like to give everybody the benefit of the doubt to start with. Show/tell them where to look, and how (granted, there should be a post about this that we can just point people to). If they still can't be bothered, then they don't get any help - plain and simple.

I'd really like to see others adopt a similar mind set. I'm not saying it's the way it should be done, but I feel that some people on the forum hang around waiting to pounce on unsuspecting noobs. Also, I'm guessing that a lot of the people who are learning CodeIgniter are quite young, and inexperienced with PHP (and when it comes to finding what they need). Some people don't really understand the purpose of this forum, as forums vary from Web site to Web site.

I've seen in the past where someone has come onto the forum, and asked for some code, only to be flamed. These people are usually from different nationalities, so obviously, their culture and mannerisms are quite different from the people who speak English as their first language. There's no need to flame them the first time they ask for code. Quite often, this isn't actually what they are asking for, they just lack the words they need to ask a more specific question.

I consider myself a CodeIgniter evangelist. I love the community, and I love the spirit behind the community - and that's what I try to represent. I feel that's what we should all be representing. At the end of the day, you don't have to help anyone. You do so under your own free will.

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
Maybe a forum that you have to pay into a subscription? Nothing super expensive, something like $10 per year. Would be a quick way to separate the wheat from the chaff.

People who have only been using CI for 20 minutes or know nothing about programming probably won't be willing to invest any amount of money into the "chance" their question may get answered in a forum.

Whereas, most of us would be more than happy to pay for assistance with an insanely difficult problem.

[quote author="TheFuzzy0ne" date="1246385934"]OK, here I go again. I know that some people aren't quite as patient as me (and even I have my 'off' days), but I feel that some people simply don't know how to look for things. It's not always laziness, although I understand that it is a lot of the time. Generally, I will try to help get someone on the right path to finding out the answers themselves. If they can't be bothered, then they don't receive any help from me. What I'm saying, is I like to give everybody the benefit of the doubt to start with. Show/tell them where to look, and how (granted, there should be a post about this that we can just point people to). If they still can't be bothered, then they don't get any help - plain and simple.

I'd really like to see others adopt a similar mind set. I'm not saying it's the way it should be done, but I feel that some people on the forum hang around waiting to pounce on unsuspecting noobs. Also, I'm guessing that a lot of the people who are learning CodeIgniter are quite young, and inexperienced with PHP (and when it comes to finding what they need). Some people don't really understand the purpose of this forum, as forums vary from Web site to Web site.

I've seen in the past where someone has come onto the forum, and asked for some code, only to be flamed. These people are usually from different nationalities, so obviously, their culture and mannerisms are quite different from the people who speak English as their first language. There's no need to flame them the first time they ask for code. Quite often, this isn't actually what they are asking for, they just lack the words they need to ask a more specific question.

I consider myself a CodeIgniter evangelist. I love the community, and I love the spirit behind the community - and that's what I try to represent. I feel that's what we should all be representing. At the end of the day, you don't have to help anyone. You do so under your own free will.[/quote]

That's why we all love you such much Fuzz <3 Smile

[quote author="Michael Wales" date="1246386225"]Maybe a forum that you have to pay into a subscription? Nothing super expensive, something like $10 per year. Would be a quick way to separate the wheat from the chaff.

People who have only been using CI for 20 minutes or know nothing about programming probably won't be willing to invest any amount of money into the "chance" their question may get answered in a forum.

Whereas, most of us would be more than happy to pay for assistance with an insanely difficult problem.[/quote]

The only problem with that though, is there are some who don't really post asking many questions, they are here to help and because they like the community. Charging would probably eliminate a lot of the people that help out and answer questions for some of the others around here.

[eluser]garymardell[/eluser]
Michaels suggestions would be good providing the money gets circulated back into codeigniter and not just the general ellislab fund. I mean it could be used to pay for development of scripts for the community (maybe the paying user community), faster development cycles or something.

Quote:The only problem with that though, is there are some who don’t really post asking many questions, they are here to help and because they like the community. Charging would probably eliminate a lot of the people that help out and answer questions for some of the others around here.

That's a good point, but being one of those people that doesn't ask much and primarily helps others, I tend to disagree. I myself go through periods of frustration at all of the very basic questions, where people could have helped themselves so easily. I would find it welcoming to know I could turn to a specific place and answer challenging questions from people that are doing really cool work when I was in the helpful mood - without having to weed through all of the crap.

Quote:Michaels suggestions would be good providing the money gets circulated back into codeigniter and not just the general ellislab fund. I mean it could be used to pay for development of scripts for the community (maybe the paying user community), faster development cycles or something.

That was my next idea - the money could be recirculated into a bounty fund, where the members of that forum request specific libraries/features and they can then disperse the bounties to developers of those requests.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
That is a brilliant idea. We should make this!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB