Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Multiple Applications, One Installation

[eluser]Think Floyd[/eluser]
Hi All

This has probably been done to death, but I'd like some advice anyway.

So according to the User Guide, my application structure could look like this if I was to create 2 applications; "foo" and "bar".

system/application/foo/
system/application/foo/config/
system/application/foo/controllers/
system/application/foo/errors/
system/application/foo/libraries/
system/application/foo/models/
system/application/foo/views/
system/application/bar/
system/application/bar/config/
system/application/bar/controllers/
system/application/bar/errors/
system/application/bar/libraries/
system/application/bar/models/
system/application/bar/views/

However, these applications will need to share some libraries, and potentially error messages and views. Where would I place common files such as a universal view or error?

Thanks in advance.

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
For shared libraries, you could always place them in the system/libraries/ folder - unfortunately this is frowned upon.

The CodeIgniter community takes a bit of a different stance, for the most part, than other web frameworks. other frameworks, I'm thinking Django in particular, view a website as a compilation of various applications. You create all of these applications which work together to create your "web application/website."

For the most part, our applications are completely stand-alone and not reliant on one another. 9 times out of 10, the answer to shares views/errors is to just place those files within both application's directories.

Version control is very useful for maintaining the accuracy between the applications and I manage all of my libraries. The library is placed in version control, then the specific application's version control system is instructed to keep the libraries/ up-to-date with what is stored within their own version control system. So if I correct a bug or add a new feature in one of my apps, it is passed on to the other apps on their next update.

[eluser]Think Floyd[/eluser]
Thanks for the prompt reply Michael.

Understood about the application separation, but on the project I'm currently working on I essentially have 4 applications that are identical, bar some front-end differences.

The other idea I had was to separate the applications within the Controller/View folders themselves, including the shared files, such as:

Application/
Controllers/MyApp1/Some_Controller
Controllers/MyApp2/Some_Other_Controller
Controllers/Common/Some_Common_Controller
Views/MyApp1/Some_View
Views/MyApp2/Some_Other_View
Views/Common/Some_Common_View

I plan on reading the domains (4 in total) and setting the default_controller to run the relevant controller based on this.

Would this be deemed bad form? At the moment it seems more sensible than literally duplicating the code X 4 (although I do understand the benefits on Version Control, I'm weighing up options).

Thanks once again.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
My new Modular Separation libraries might provide the features you require if you install each of your applications as a module.
Modular Separation PHP5 allows modules to be installed outside of the application directory. Just alter the MODPATH and MODOFFSET constants.
View the thread: Modular Separation - PHP5

[eluser]Gordaen[/eluser]
Symlinks may be a good answer. With source control, you can also specify external resources, which is another (slightly more complex) option.

[eluser]dsloan[/eluser]
Just having a quick catch-up on forum postings - is the following any use to you?

http://www.philsturgeon.co.uk/news/2009/...odeIgniter

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB