Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Is CodeIgniter dead?

[eluser]webbower[/eluser]
I haven't seen an update since 1.7.1 for a really long time. Has it gone stale or are they overhauling it for version 2?

A friend pointed me to Kohana which appears to have taken CI and made it for PHP5 only, added ORM support, made it more OO than CI is, and a number of other improvements. Has anyone else seen Kohana and what are people's thoughts?

[eluser]Eric Barnes[/eluser]
From my understanding the development team is working on a new release of Expression Engine so that is probably the reason for no updates.

As for kohana I have not personally used it. But I take the stance as use what works the best for you. Remember the framework is just a tool and you should use the right tool for the job.

[eluser]skunkbad[/eluser]
[quote author="webbower" date="1249510953"]I haven't seen an update since 1.7.1 for a really long time. Has it gone stale or are they overhauling it for version 2?

A friend pointed me to Kohana which appears to have taken CI and made it for PHP5 only, added ORM support, made it more OO than CI is, and a number of other improvements. Has anyone else seen Kohana and what are people's thoughts?[/quote]

I've used Kohana. First, I do think they are headed in a great direction, but the documentation is really poor, missing in some cases, or wrong in some cases. I guess they are relying on members of their community to update the documentation, and it just doesn't happen, which is clearly seen if you spend any time with Kohana. Another complaint I had was that their forum is hardly active at all. I'm not a super genius, and when I need help, I can't afford to wait 48 hours for a response. CI forums work for me. Actually, Kohana is the first framework I had ever used, and when I came over here to CI, I felt like a great weight had been lifted off my shoulders. CI just works. I believe they are on a 6 month update cycle, but what is wrong with 1.7.1? I love it, and honestly, I don't need an update. I'd actually prefer if they didn't update it, or at least if they did, they don't do anything that breaks my code!

[eluser]webbower[/eluser]
[quote author="skunkbad" date="1249547099"][quote author="webbower" date="1249510953"]I haven't seen an update since 1.7.1 for a really long time. Has it gone stale or are they overhauling it for version 2?

A friend pointed me to Kohana which appears to have taken CI and made it for PHP5 only, added ORM support, made it more OO than CI is, and a number of other improvements. Has anyone else seen Kohana and what are people's thoughts?[/quote]

I've used Kohana. First, I do think they are headed in a great direction, but the documentation is really poor, missing in some cases, or wrong in some cases. I guess they are relying on members of their community to update the documentation, and it just doesn't happen, which is clearly seen if you spend any time with Kohana. Another complaint I had was that their forum is hardly active at all. I'm not a super genius, and when I need help, I can't afford to wait 48 hours for a response. CI forums work for me. Actually, Kohana is the first framework I had ever used, and when I came over here to CI, I felt like a great weight had been lifted off my shoulders. CI just works. I believe they are on a 6 month update cycle, but what is wrong with 1.7.1? I love it, and honestly, I don't need an update. I'd actually prefer if they didn't update it, or at least if they did, they don't do anything that breaks my code![/quote]

I've used a couple web apps/frameworks that have ORM and IMHO it's the best thing in website coding since sliced bread. That's really the main reason I'd move to Kohana. I think if CI added ORM, I'd be happy since I spent all the time learning CI.

Also, there's nothing "wrong" with 1.7.1. I'm just waiting for any bugfixes or new features they might add.

[eluser]designfellow[/eluser]
Hi all,
i too tried kohana.
Its documentation is not sufficient to understand it fully.
But for CI, Clear documentation & very active forum (see you've got 6 replies in 1 hour)
helps to stand out from the rest.
It will take söme time for kohana to competite with my favorite CI :-)
sorry i forgot the topic.
CI 1.7.1 is best enough to do all major things in most cases.
Also, lots of user contributed libraries available for CI 1.7.1 .
Anyway, i am also waiting to see next version :-)

[eluser]skunkbad[/eluser]
[quote author="webbower" date="1249595626"]...
I've used a couple web apps/frameworks that have ORM and IMHO it's the best thing in website coding since sliced bread...[/quote]

I've taken a look at Kohana's ORM, and I just don't need it. I'm new to frameworks, and having written many a line of SQL, I just don't have the need. Actually, I'm really pretty happy with CI's Active Record. To me, ORM is like using a pair of pliers to pick up a fork so I can take a bite. I can just grab the fork, or eat with my hands!

edit -- I'm not saying I'm better than anyone else, and you might out-code me with one hand tied behind your back. I just am very comfortable with my CI (and I've only been using it a couple months).

[eluser]Yash[/eluser]
CI is dead?

Dude see community response ...

Check svn for latest buid. Team is working on 1.7.2.

[eluser]Crimp[/eluser]
People are just holding out for those automagic classes in the next release that not only does all the coding work but includes the Coffee Helper with functions for added sugars and cream. The CI team should take posts like this as the highest form of praise.

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
Moved into "CodeIgniter Discussion" forum. And yup, as you can see, CI is quite healthy.

Quote:The CI team should take posts like this as the highest form of praise.

@crimp: we take the participation of people like you and the others on this forum as the highest form of praise, believe me. Thanks for all your contributions.

[eluser]Crimp[/eluser]
Thanks, but I I wasn't blowing my own trumpet there, Derek. When someone asks if a project is dead because releases are not rolling out of the EllisLab factory (a working factory anyone can peek inside via SVN at any time), you have raised expectations to levels that will always be hard to satisfy. Like the late Derrida said when confronted with a flurry of comments that his "deconstruction" project was dead: when so many people want it dead, it must surely be more alive than ever before. So the rumors of CI's death are not only exaggerated, they likely reflect an existential craving for more, more, more from CI. That's high praise indeed.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB