Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
what to use for a user rank based web application?

[eluser]skunkbad[/eluser]
[quote author="parachuter2b" date="1251687516"]Hi there,

I'm working on a web app that is for a fitness community.
The goal is to allow users to post their favorite work out tunes and other users to rank them. sort of like digg and other web 2.0 voting based sites, but of course not as complicated.
I did some research and seems like CMS wouldn't be a bad choice? (i.e. joomla or drupal)
I also read some articles on flex today...
but a lot of mixed review on all of them!

what would you suggest? would it be easier to go with a CMS or write it in php, mysql (or whatever else db) from scratch?

ps. I'd rather use a template that comes with one of these tools rather than spend time on design

Thanks for your time,

parachuter2b[/quote]

I think the problem you will face will be that there is no easy solution. If you had known a programming language, or if you were familiar with how to use joomla or drupal, then you probably would have just started in on the development. Since you don't have the knowledge to get started, you will have some learning to do, and it wouldn't matter what direction you decided to go. I don't think you're going to find a solution that just jumps into your lap.

While not really related to your post, this reminds me of the "dreamers" that I talk to all the time. They want a website that is going to be the next ebay, but they think I'm going t build it for them for $100.00. People don't realize that there is work to programming and making websites. If they want a cheap solution, they are going to get what they pay for. In your case, and in most cases, the time spent making the site will be proportional to it's real value.

Messages In This Thread
what to use for a user rank based web application? - by El Forum - 08-30-2009, 03:58 PM
what to use for a user rank based web application? - by El Forum - 08-30-2009, 05:13 PM
what to use for a user rank based web application? - by El Forum - 08-30-2009, 07:34 PM
what to use for a user rank based web application? - by El Forum - 08-30-2009, 08:12 PM
what to use for a user rank based web application? - by El Forum - 08-30-2009, 09:26 PM
what to use for a user rank based web application? - by El Forum - 09-21-2009, 08:13 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB