Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Some ideas

Hi, all.

I know that its yet not the time for that. But I have some ideas about a few helpful things which we as CI Community can do for better popularisation of our beloved framework, for more contributing and usage.
Note that those things should be opened for the community.

1. "Find CI Developer" section - from my point of view it will be a great plus for all developers if the official site of the framework supports such "CI developers" list (with some basic information and etc..). Which can be used by anyone anywhere who is looking for CI developer for some project or whatever.
This can be set at subdomain of codeigniter: like developers.codeigniter.com and it requires really small amount of coding
- Devs (with information about, examples of work and social links to github, stackoverflow, linkendin, etc..).
- Some web part to search for the developer with contact information

I believe that many developers will enjoy to be listed in such public CI list supported from the CodeIgniter. And many can contribute in building of such system.

2. "Build with CodeIgniter" section - list all kind of projects made with CI.
From different kind of systems, to just a regular website it can be very helpful. Any one can candidate to be added in that list.

I believe that such things will encourage many developers to keep an eye over the community and over the framework. And this should be a Plus for the CI.

Regards
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

Great idea ... those are the purpose of the "jobs" and "spotlight" subforums on this board.

I do not like the idea of endorsing or appearing to endorse any developer on the "official site" - that is a can of worms.

The old CodeIgniter site had links for sites built with CodeIgniter ... when I checked those out, most were built on some other framework - originally built or prototyped with CodeIgniter, but then moved on. Not a good plug for our framework!

That is why I added the subforums here. They provide for commentary on developers, and for mini case studies or testimonials for sites built using CodeIgniter. And all without the appearance of being "blessed" by VI in some way Undecided

If what you have in mind is more structured than what we can do with a forum, then a webapp doing that could be a useful future project. We do have the codeigniter.org domain that could be repurposed for that - hmmm Smile
James Parry
Project Lead

A further thought ... the current website links to some external framework comparisons. That could also be construed as "endorsing" those sites.

At the risk of having too complex a hierarchy on our forum, it might be an idea to have a separate sub-forum where external framework comparisons could be announced or discussed. Similarly, it could be an idea to have a subforum for competitor frameworks, to give our members the chance to share what they like or don't like about them. That runs the risk of getting into some sort of flamewar, which would not be constructive, so we would have to be careful!
James Parry
Project Lead

I know that developer in list is a little hard material (like you call it can of worms).
How ever such thing may very useful for all dev's to get "CI badge". Even we it can be tricky ..
All who want to be added will have to handle some skill test so the system will be able to validate the real devs from bots Smile.
It wont be overloaded so the management wont be too hard.

About 'sites built with CodeIgniter', sub-webapp at the website will be the best choice.
You are right about old not real CI scripts which were listed in the past (http://web.archive.org/web/2012041603555...niter.com/) but if its a script we can think for some validation rules (validate on submit, revalidation on some time period as 1 year) and etc.. This will be a real App so I think that the forum wont be able to handle it or at least it will be hard task.

P.S> looking at the web archive of Codeigniter.com , there is app called VideoTutorials perhaps we can thing about section Tutorials and for future. As CI is framework there will be always new developers who will be helpful such section.

(11-12-2014, 09:36 AM)jlp Wrote: A further thought ... the current website links to some external framework comparisons. That could also be construed as "endorsing" those sites.

At the risk of having too complex a hierarchy on our forum, it might be an idea to have a separate sub-forum where external framework comparisons could be announced or discussed. Similarly, it could be an idea to have a subforum for competitor frameworks, to give our members the chance to share what they like or don't like about them. That runs the risk of getting into some sort of flamewar, which would not be constructive, so we would have to be careful!

Then as you suggest, keeping it isolated will help if there are unwanted comments, leading up to a flamewar.

I think you should assume that will happen and put in place a plan for how you will deal with it.

I think it is a nice idea and you can have a try.

When there is a list of New Features approved for the Community Site (codeigniter.com) I and perhaps others will be here to contribute to Smile
Until than we can discuss any good ideas . Smile

@jlp

I like the idea about a sub-forum aimed at other frameworks. I see it not for aggressive comparisons and wars, but as a research tool - what achievements, features and practices other frameworks have, do we like them, do we want them. What mistakes other projects do, could we avoid them. Unpopular projects also are interesting - they might have some original ideas. This would be useful for further CodeIgniter development.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB