Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Flexible intranet development. Taking thoughts.

[eluser]kurucu[/eluser]
It's just occured to me - from the way you have asked the question I am wondering about your intentions for the controller.

Ordinarily, a page on an intranet is one set of content, and another is another. You would not provide a controller for each page of content, and if that's what your expecting then I think you have the wrong end of the stick.

A controller provides a suite of functions, and those functions (I mean actions rather than software functions) each do a particular job. So, you might provide a controller 'page' and a function 'view' which always renders intranet pages, and then it accepts a parameter 'page_id' to know which page to render. At least, that's the most scaleable method - you can add pages without changing your code. It is unlikely you would want different controllers and functions for each page unless each page (and I speak of content pages here) had very different functionality. If that is what you want, a CMS or CMF is what you're looking for (like ModX).

But, if you didn't ask that, and you are developing a suite of intranet functionality then CI is definitely the place for you. CI is a structured way to write PHP programs (excuse me if I'm teaching a granny to suck eggs here, but I think your question might have made a few bad assumptions). Thus, you would use CI to write, perhaps, the intranet authentication, page viewing, departmental staff and student lists, maintain a course list, get information from the education system for presenting an individual with their results and chosen subjects...

In other words, specific functionality including that of a CMS.

Messages In This Thread
Flexible intranet development. Taking thoughts. - by El Forum - 09-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Flexible intranet development. Taking thoughts. - by El Forum - 09-18-2009, 02:31 AM
Flexible intranet development. Taking thoughts. - by El Forum - 09-18-2009, 02:45 AM
Flexible intranet development. Taking thoughts. - by El Forum - 09-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Flexible intranet development. Taking thoughts. - by El Forum - 09-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Flexible intranet development. Taking thoughts. - by El Forum - 09-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Flexible intranet development. Taking thoughts. - by El Forum - 09-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Flexible intranet development. Taking thoughts. - by El Forum - 09-21-2009, 08:01 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB