Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Why would you use CI session class over php sessions?

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
AFAICT mybinky3000's problem was that they didn't work at all. After much prodding he eventually deigned to provide a walk-through on how to reproduce his problem. I spent a couple of hours setting up a test environment and trying different variations of his instructions, but could never get the error(s) that he did. I observed as much in whatever thread, at the time, and haven't heard back since. Consequently I, too, can only speculate at the true nature of his problem.

I think you may be misquoting me.

Remembering that it's been some years since I used native PHP sessions - I think the big benefits of CI sessions are that a) you can easily encrypt them (ie. Security), and b) you can easily store them in a database (ie. Security and removal of Cookie size limitations). The 4KB limit removal is probably very appealing to many developers.

While a side-benefit of the database storage is that you can then do things across the set of session data (that you could not conveniently do otherwise) I don't see this as the primary feature. But, since I'm not really a power user of this stuff, perhaps other people do. As an aside, I have no idea how you could build 'on top of native PHP session's' any kind of database store - short of having this done on every page load, of course, which then leads you ineluctably back to doing it in your framework .... five minutes of casual design pondering later and you're back at the CI way of doing it.

Your argument - separating two patterns - is understood, but perhaps comes down to how the developer uses the feature, rather than the nature of the feature proper.

I haven't heard any compelling reason for using the native PHP sessions (other than to save some people some eyebrow exercise Wink

But, equally, I'm not really a cookie / session / CI / PHP / programming expert.

Messages In This Thread
Why would you use CI session class over php sessions? - by El Forum - 12-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Why would you use CI session class over php sessions? - by El Forum - 12-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Why would you use CI session class over php sessions? - by El Forum - 12-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Why would you use CI session class over php sessions? - by El Forum - 12-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Why would you use CI session class over php sessions? - by El Forum - 12-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Why would you use CI session class over php sessions? - by El Forum - 12-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Why would you use CI session class over php sessions? - by El Forum - 12-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Why would you use CI session class over php sessions? - by El Forum - 12-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Why would you use CI session class over php sessions? - by El Forum - 12-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Why would you use CI session class over php sessions? - by El Forum - 12-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Why would you use CI session class over php sessions? - by El Forum - 12-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Why would you use CI session class over php sessions? - by El Forum - 12-17-2009, 06:24 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB