Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
PHP 4 instead of 5? are you kidding me?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hi, I like your project here... but correct me if I am wrong? You are supporting PHP 4 only?
Maybe I got an outdated page or you haven't updated it yet.
If you are still only supporting 4 your are missing the boat and throwing away the concept that this framework can be taken seriously.

[eluser]BrianDHall[/eluser]
I'd venture to say most of us use PHP5, CI is just backwards compatible for those that want it.

Use all the :: and ____ magic functions you want - everyone else does.

[eluser]Craig A Rodway[/eluser]
If you take the time to read the Documentation, you'll find your answer.

Server Requirements

Quote:PHP version 4.3.2 or newer.

(The clue is in the "or newer" bit).

CodeIgniter At A Glance

Quote:CodeIgniter is written to be compatible with PHP 4. Although we would have loved to take advantage of the better object handling in PHP 5 since it would have simplified some things we had to find creative solutions for (looking your way, multiple inheritance), at the time of this writing PHP 5 is not in widespread use, which means we would be alienating most of our potential audience. Major OS vendors like RedHat are moving slowly to support PHP 5, and they are unlikely to do so in the short term, so we felt that it did not serve the best interests of the PHP community to write CodeIgniter in PHP 5.

Note: CodeIgniter will run on PHP 5. It simply does not take advantage of any native features that are only available in that version.

(Clue is in the "will run on PHP 5" bit)

As you can see, PHP5 is very much supported :roll:

[eluser]stuffradio[/eluser]
it does already you dingbat!

[eluser]dchuk[/eluser]
[quote author="enochEllisar" date="1262219942"]Hi, I like your project here... but correct me if I am wrong? You are supporting PHP 4 only?
If you are still only supporting 4 your are missing the boat and throwing away the concept that this framework can be taken seriously.[/quote]

I realize the irony of myself making the following criticism considering I'm relatively new here, but pleaassseeee don't join a forum simply to criticize a FREE product you obviously have not explored at all. I have seen this across many different forums for programming and frankly it's just dumb.

[eluser]Yorick Peterse[/eluser]
[quote author="enochEllisar" date="1262219942"]Hi, I like your project here... but correct me if I am wrong? You are supporting PHP 4 only?
If you are still only supporting 4 your are missing the boat and throwing away the concept that this framework can be taken seriously.[/quote]

Take a look at my signature, kthnxbai.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
[-- Generic RTFM comment followed by laughter and a cocky comment --] Tongue

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB