Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
[SOLVED] Language files in other languages than English

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2014, 06:17 PM by yhoiseth.)

I'm using CodeIgniter to build an app for Norwegian users. If it turns out to be a success, I might launch it in more languages.

To future-proof the app, I'd like to use the language library. In system/language, however, there's only one language, English.

I haven't been able to find Norwegian language files, but I did find Danish language files (Repox/codeigniter-lang-danish).

I'm curious about CodeIgniter's policy regarding language files.

In other words, when I make Norwegian language files, how should I contribute them? Should I make my own repository on GitHub like Repox did, or is there a more official way of contributing?

System folder is not for touching,you can create translations in the app folder with the same structure as system and they will work.
CodeIgniter provides you with multilanguage support but you have to translate what you need
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

(11-15-2014, 11:59 PM)sv3tli0 Wrote: System folder is not for touching,you can create translations in the app folder with the same structure as system and they will work.
CodeIgniter provides you with multilanguage support but you have to translate what you need

Good point. I meant application/language.

So, no official way to contribute translations, then?

What sv3tli0 is saying is that you do not need to touch the languages in the system directory - leave them as is, but create your own in the application directory so that they will override the ones in system. That is explained in the docs.

As far as contributing goes, the language file distributed with CI is just a default. It is not part of the framework's code and in many cases will be over-ridden according to the specific app being developed. So a translation of it isn't really a contributable part as such. However, there are probably other CI devs that would find it useful. So you could stick it up on github and create a link to it in the forums, and I'm sure your contribution will be appreciated!

Perhaps it can be useful if there are CI default translations available not only in EN but and at other languages..
How ever such additional packet should be outside the GIT repo of CI, perhaps in 1 new repo as "CodeIgniter Translations".
Inside it there should be only 1 app/translation folder with all default translations.

P.S> In future if we have such translation repo and there are a lot of languages added. We can think even for Locale CI downloading (CodeIgniter with pre-set some picked language). It's not really important to have such pre-set language (different from EN) but it can be some small plus Smile
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB