Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Facebook HipHop & CodeIgniter ? What do you think?

[eluser]The Wizard[/eluser]
Hello friends,

Facebook announced a open source tool called hiphop.
It converts your php application into compiled code in the c language.

What do you think about this?
Would it work with CodeIgniter (out of the box) ?

[eluser]danmontgomery[/eluser]
CI is written in PHP, why wouldn't it?

[eluser]imaffett[/eluser]
I'm watching the web cast now. Most PHP frameworks will pick up some performance gains. I'm curious to see how CI does due to the "magic code" they talk about (including based off functions) and how everything (models, classes, etc) are almost their own CI instance.

Depending on how the tests come back, I may drop CI and go back to an old in house framework we developed, that's MVC based but doesn't have the "magic code" that can't be optimized.

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
It compiles PHP down into C++ (not C) and it's not recommended if you are on a shared host.

In all honesty, very few people will see any sort of performance gain out of HipHop. You have to have millions and millions of visitors concurrently for you to even start worrying about CPU usage. You'll be better served optimizing your input/output (database calls, caching, etc).

Additionally, HipHop only transforms a subset of the PHP language. Not sure if all of CI fits within this subset they have selected, the developers have said they only left out features that weren't commonly used (eval() for example).

[eluser]BDKR[/eluser]
[quote author="Michael Wales" date="1265232895"]
In all honesty, very few people will see any sort of performance gain out of HipHop. You have to have millions and millions of visitors concurrently for you to even start worrying about CPU usage. You'll be better served optimizing your input/output (database calls, caching, etc).
[/quote]

In the short term, you are 100% right. But beyond the short term, HipHop is a potential solution that can be employed and looks very promising to those of us that have built high performance solutions and are always looking for better ways to do it.

[quote author="Michael Wales" date="1265232895"]
Additionally, HipHop only transforms a subset of the PHP language. Not sure if all of CI fits within this subset they have selected, the developers have said they only left out features that weren't commonly used (eval() for example).
[/quote]

That said, is there an alternative to eval? Is it something that must be there?

Never mind. I found a way around it.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB