Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Ion Auth - Lightweight Auth System based on Redux Auth 2

[eluser]naren_nag[/eluser]
Hey Ben,

Was wondering if you could talk about what you're doing differently from let's say DX_Auth? And I don't mean only in terms of features, but are you approaching the architecture/coding differently?

cheers,

Naren

[eluser]joytopia[/eluser]
Ben and Atno,

since captcha is just a feature of forms, perhaps it makes sens to combine Ion auth with Frank Michel's great form library:

http://frankmichel.com/formgenlib/

Best regards, Bernd

Phil and Ben,

ion_auth_model->update_user brings up an database error, if no field of the user table is in the $data-array.

Since I want to change username, password and email, I added an new if-condition:
Code:
if(array_key_exists('username', $data) OR array_key_exists('password', $data) OR array_key_exists('email', $data))

{
            if(array_key_exists('password', $data))
            {
                $data['password'] = $this->hash_password($data['password']);
            }

$this->db->where($this->ion_auth->_extra_where);

$this->db->update($this->tables['users'], $data, array('id' => $id));
        }

[eluser]Ben Edmunds[/eluser]
naren_nag,

The main difference between Ion Auth and DX Auth and most of the other auth systems out there is that Ion Auth doesn't try to be a complete user management system that in a way over takes your app and has a ton of files.

The goal of Ion Auth is to be as complete a user auth library as possible but to keep everything lightweight and small. There are only three files required for Ion Auth.

Thanks!

[eluser]2think[/eluser]
Naren_nag,

I think Ben's decision to keep the system lightweight is a real plus for developers.

Not to knock DX or any of the other auth solutions out there but Ben's solution makes updating and even debugging less of a challenge.

Also because it is so lightweight, it isn't very difficult to see where we can customize it such as adding related tables, etc.

[eluser]Ben Edmunds[/eluser]
2think,

Thanks!

joytopia,

I think I'm missing something. Please describe the problem and error?

Thanks,

Ben,

when trying to update a field from the meta-table, i.e.

Code:
$succes = $this->ion_auth->update_user($usernr, array('first_name' => $first_name));

I get a database error, because the model tries to update the users-table too, but there is nothing to update. Look at the model:

Code:
if(array_key_exists('password', $data))
            {
                $data['password'] = $this->hash_password($data['password']);
            }

$this->db->where($this->ion_auth->_extra_where);

$this->db->update($this->tables['users'], $data, array('id' => $id));

Either the closing brace of the if-condition should be placed two lines later, than only the password can be updated. Or a second if-condition is needed to allow the fields that can be changed and prevent the update-routine from being performed, when there is no field to be updated. This is what I did in my last post.

[eluser]Sinclair[/eluser]
Hi,

I need an Auth System, but I don't know If I should to develop one, or use a system like Ion Auth. My problem is that the information is very specific. It should be easy to change te database tables structure in Ion Auth?

Best Regards,

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
[quote author="Sinclair" date="1267549793"]Hi,

I need an Auth System, but I don't know If I should to develop one, or use a system like Ion Auth. My problem is that the information is very specific. It should be easy to change te database tables structure in Ion Auth?

Best Regards,[/quote]

You can change the name of any of the tables in the config file, and you can add any extra data you like to the 'meta' table. First name & last name is there already and you can add phone numbers, membership info, msn handles, etc.

[eluser]Sinclair[/eluser]
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

One more question. How it works the "create_user"? Only admins can create users in the example code?

Best Regards,

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB