Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Can I use CI in a commercial project?

[eluser]techguy101[/eluser]
Hi There,

I'm working on a commercial project at the moment and have been using CI. It just dawned on me now about the licensing of CI, DOH!

This is a commercial project that I am developing for a client and he will be paying me for it upon delivery.

As I know SFA about licenses etc, i'm just wondering is this legal? Can I use CI to develop an application and sell it on commercially?

Regards,
techguy..

[eluser]Madmartigan1[/eluser]
Yes you can, I'm pretty much sure

http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-guide/license.html

[eluser]haydenk[/eluser]
It's still open source, so you can use it however you like, you just have to give credit where credit is due.

Cool, thanks guys.

I've been wondering about that in general.

With any open source software, can I use it in a commercial project for my own profit.

I would of course not take credit for it and leave any copyright notices intact etc.

Thanks..

[eluser]kgill[/eluser]
[quote author="techguy101" date="1267431437"]
With any open source software, can I use it in a commercial project for my own profit.
[/quote]

It all depends on what the license says but for most of the big ones the answer is yes although sometimes it's not always the best idea.

Each open source license is different and so what's true for CI is not true for say the GPL. The GPL doesn't forbid you from using code under it in a commercial product but at the same time it does state you must make the source available. So you might not get very far charging for code when your competitors can simply take your source. The LGPL is different yet again - so it all comes down to what the licensing says you can do with it, when in doubt consult with a lawyer.

[eluser]packetfox[/eluser]
I am reasonably sure you can use CI in any commercial product as you like. I certainly hope so, or i would be in trouble! Many of my solutions i build for clients run on CI. Seems there are tons of discussions pertaining to this also in the forum archives that should give enough answers.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
It's fine, and encouraged.

The more people use CodeIgniter the stronger the community gets -> the stronger EE2 gets -> the more money EllisLab makes.

Remember to contribute back to the community if it starts making you rich. ;-)

Cool..

Yea i'll contribute anyway.. this won't make me rich though. I'm making an app for a client on a freeland site. I'm doing it for near free to try and get some feedback on a freelancing site..

It seems to be so hard to get a start on those sites with no feedback.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB