Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Sessions - Please Change

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2014, 03:00 PM by trentramseyer. Edit Reason: new information )

The Sessions have always been my biggest gripe with Codeigniter.

Number one problem is the random logouts, no matter what your settings are.

Please put this to be overhauled on top of the list!!

*** After posting I saw this thread on Github ****
Sounds like lot of overhauling going on. Let's hope.
https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter/issues/3073

exactly. CI 2.x,3.x session is the fatal issue. Hoping to solve it soon.

Btw, I updated Session class for CI 2.2.x so I can use Native while waiting for 3 to be complete.

(not going to claim it is 100% but seems to work well in my tests)
https://github.com/trentramseyer/codeign...ass-native

well i can agree the session needs work. And that is exactly what Narf and the team are doing, overhauling the Session class.

until recently i had no real issues with the session in CI. but now that i use 3.0 i am seeing some issues that are bugging me. Namely with flashdata. Even using the keep_flashdata function does nothing to keep the data persistent on the next request.

but like i said, they are working on it. And it is something i eagerly await.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, M5 Inc.

Can someone attempt to explain what is the issue that is so complex about sessions and why is this taking so long to do in CI 3?

I truly do not mean to be sarcastic and my question is due to my lack of knowledge.

But what is it that CI 3 is attempting to do with sessions that is so different than what other frameworks do?

It certainly does not seem to take that long for other frameworks to come up with new versions and I guess they all have sessions.

Why can't we take what is being done elsewhere and incorporate it in CI 3?

Again I say this with all due respect.

Thanks

(12-04-2014, 06:37 PM)trentramseyer Wrote: Btw, I updated Session class for CI 2.2.x so I can use Native while waiting for 3 to be complete.

Many thanks for sharing this! I'm gonna try your changes with a production environment Wink

(12-05-2014, 02:29 PM)geekita Wrote:
(12-04-2014, 06:37 PM)trentramseyer Wrote: Btw, I updated Session class for CI 2.2.x so I can use Native while waiting for 3 to be complete.

Many thanks for sharing this! I'm gonna try your changes with a production environment Wink

Nice. yeah let me know how it goes!

I've used CI 2.x sessions for years with no problems. If you have problems with log outs, it is probably your code, or your choice of Auth library. That said, CI sessions class is pretty amateur code. The idea that a cookie is written more than once in the same request is what I dislike the most. Especially if you are encrypting the session, the total size of the generated headers is a real turn off.

(12-04-2014, 06:53 PM)Hobbes Wrote: well i can agree the session needs work. And that is exactly what Narf and the team are doing, overhauling the Session class.

until recently i had no real issues with the session in CI. but now that i use 3.0 i am seeing some issues that are bugging me. Namely with flashdata. Even using the keep_flashdata function does nothing to keep the data persistent on the next request.

but like i said, they are working on it. And it is something i eagerly await.

I have suspected that the problem with flashdata is that if the server does some kind of redirect, then you loose the data. This might not be correct, but I have seen what seem like random losses of flashdata in the past and so don't use that as a mechanism.

I see in github new session library doesn't have cookie driver only (database, files, redis and memcached) why not exist an cookie driver is because security reasons ??

thanks

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB