Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Mashup with GoogleMaps

[eluser]joeizang[/eluser]
hi y'all,

been sometime. I was wondering, is it possible to create a mashup with a small GIS app with CI and say google maps? I am in need of knowing how this is achieved, I googled up the topic but I got some pretty ambiguous stuff so I was hoping to come here and get some solid pointers. thanks again

Joe

[eluser]Narkboy[/eluser]
When I looked at this (never built more than a proof-of-concept) I dropped the GM API into a library and worked from there. Depends on what you want to do with it, but generally, any API can be adapted to work from library calls then referenced in your controllers / models.

Smile

ok then, so it's pretty much like i could get a class from phpclasses for example and make a library right? Could you be kind as to show off some of your eXperimental code?

Oh and for what I want to use this app for, it's for GIS i think it's called geographic information systems or something. I would like to develop an application using this that is web based for a small NGO here and they have shown real desire for this to be done for them.

Any help would be whole heartedly accepted.

joe

[eluser]Narkboy[/eluser]
Hi jeoizang,

Unfortunatly I don't have any of the work - it's all with my old company. I'm guessing you'll need to use the Google Maps API and the ArcGIS JavaScript Extension for Google Maps API but I've not looked at the JS extension.

The Maps API is surprisingly easy to get into, if not so easy to exploit fully. You'll need to get a really solid understanding of it and then write the API calls as functions into a model. I would use a library to handle the shuffling and a specific controller to allow for AJAX calls to the library. That way the Google Maps API sits almost as a plugin and can be accessed from wherever on your site without needing to funnel people through specific pages.

Basically, the model handles ALL calls to the API - it's data in / data out. The library moves the information around, gets it into the right formats, controls the access, and the controller provides drop-in ways to access everything.

Write the model first (which requires understanding the API), then the library (which requires how your site will use the API), and then the controller (which marries your actualy pages, links and buttons to the actual methods).

Big job - but lots of fun!! I love APIs; they're much more fun than your own data, but also you have to work with their limitations...

Good luck!

[eluser]Zack Kitzmiller[/eluser]
I've built things with Google Maps and CI before.

http://www.findashippingstore.com/map and others.

[eluser]umefarooq[/eluser]
hi download ci and google map from my signature working example

y'all have shown me good support and I want to thank you. I am currently gearing up with the client so I can do this. but I am totally thankful for the CI forums and for you guys who have replied me on this.

May CI dust all the other frameworks and may 2.0 be a success. I will ask plllleeeeaaaassseee that you guys keep checking back here on this space for amy questions I might have later.

God bless y'all

Joe

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB