Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Developing on a public/private server

[eluser]Monotoba[/eluser]
Hi All,

First, let me appologies if this is the wrong forum to post this in?...

My latest project requires that I work with a team member (graphic artist and UI developer) 2000 miles away. We need to setup a development server that will allow us to work on the site but I don't want all of the dev stuff public until it is complete. The distant team member is great with graphics and js but I dont want to ask him to setup VPN access on his machine.

I also need to provide some simple data collection forms on the very same server/site for the client to run some simple polls while we complete the site. To get his team buy-in the client wants to let his staff vote on the site template to be used in the final site and make suggestions and comments regarding their own project.

I would normally setup my development server in house and modify my host files so I could use the corrent url for the site. However, the need for external access without a vpn precludes this practice.

It would be nice if there were some type of A/B switch that would allow serving one site or the other based on a uri/url parameter. An A/B switch might later be helpful in gathering data in regards to site layout and feature use much like Amazon does...

So how would you gents handle this situation? I have a ton of ideas but not sure what would be best...

Messages In This Thread
Developing on a public/private server - by El Forum - 09-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Developing on a public/private server - by El Forum - 09-14-2007, 12:31 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB