Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
HMVC VS Modular Separation VS Matchbox

[eluser]john36122340[/eluser]
Hi guys,

Sorry to re-hash an old post but I was wondering could someone explain what exactly is 'cross-loading of module controllers' and why it's usefull... as Modular Separtion 'does not support HMVC cross-loading of module controllers'...

Thanks again Smile

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
Imagine you have a News Module. This will give you basic 'news'-list with some read more behaviour. Now you want a small sidebar where you list the 3 latest news items. Ideally you would just 'call' your news module, and it would provide you with some form of output with a list of items (styled or un-styled, depending on your preference).

This is what cross loading of modules is used for. It basically 'grabs' output from several modules, and turns them into 1 page.

You could achieve something similar without cross loading, but then you'd have to call the models inside of a module, which would defeat the whole purpose of modularity: the fact that is a standalone, self-contained application.

[eluser]john36122340[/eluser]
Hi n0xie,

Thanks for the reply...

In modular seperation can the modules only be called via URL's? (not in controllers or views?)

Say, if I create a grid controller that uses a model and a view and put them all in the module directory, I want to use it in multiple views, is possible with modular seperation to do something like this in another controller or view:

$this->load->module('my_sexy_grid') or Module::load('my_sexy_grid')?

Thanks for the help...

[eluser]RaZoR LeGaCy[/eluser]
How easy is it to convert from Matchbox to Modular Separation? I currently use Matchbox for the forums and would like to convert to Modular Separation. Can I just replace and autoload what Modular Separation needs?

What does "Does not support HMVC cross-loading of module controllers" mean in plain english?

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
[quote author="RaZoR LeGaCy" date="1281134043"]How easy is it to convert from Matchbox to Modular Separation? I currently use Matchbox for the forums and would like to convert to Modular Separation. Can I just replace and autoload what Modular Separation needs?

What does "Does not support HMVC cross-loading of module controllers" mean in plain english?[/quote]\

If you have been using Matchbox and don't know what "Does not support HMVC cross-loading of module controllers" means then it does not matter to you. Neither Matchbox or MS allow you to directly load another module controller, so it doesn't make any difference.

Basically to convert just replace the Loader/Router code and delete anything Matchbox'y. Then change every $this->load->module_model('module_name', 'foo_m') to $this->load->model('module_name/foo_m') and the same for helpers, libraries, etc.

We converted PyroCMS from Matchbox to MS a while ago and it was pretty smooth.

Hi Phil,

One last question regarding Modular Separation, will I be able to use model functions from module A (under applications->modules->MODULE_A->models) in module B (under applications->modules->MODULE_B->models)? Also can I use model functions from Module A in core application models (under applications->models)?

You are the man. I am playing around with PyroCMS right now as well.

I glanced over the code, need to spend more time on the code, and I am planning to convert my forums and PM system to modules for PyroCMS.

My CMS for HellHorror.com is highly customized and written specifically for my needs but I want to try PyroCMS for a similar project.

Sure thing, you just use:

Code:
$this->load->model('MODULE_A/modelname');

We already have a forum module that is currently undergoing a re-build, but if you can create a PM system that works with the user code we have in place you could easily sell it on the store we'll be launching within the next few weeks.

Sounds great.

About when will the forum module re-build be completed? Why re-invent the wheel?

I will get to work on reviewing the code then I will port over. I originally wanted to use Drupal but that beast is too complicated and requires too much behind the scenes back tracking.

Almost forgot. I wanted to include additional fields for the user profiles. Can I add on top of what you have or should I copy the module then simply customize then disable the original?

The current module is an OLD piece of crap. I wrote it about 3 years ago and did a bad job porting to Pyro, then Dan Horrigan did a fairly good job updating it but left a lot to go.

Zack Kilmitzer is working on it, but we have no idea when he'll be done.

As for user profiles I'm not sure. If you can code the user module to accept custom fields without any hacking then that would be awesome. Commit anythign back to a Git fork and we can merge it really easily.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB